GENERIC NAME— Riociguat
BRAND NAME(s)— Adempas
DRUG CLASS— Soluble Guanylate Cyclase Stimulators
What Is Riociguat?
Riociguat is a medication used to treat two types of pulmonary hypertension (PH) — chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH) and pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). Riociguat belongs to a group of drugs called sGC stimulators.
How To Use
Follow all the directions mentioned on the prescription label. Use the medication exactly as directed by your doctor.
You may take Riociguat with or without meal. Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
- Tobacco smoking
- Some prescription medications
- Cytochrome inhibitors
- Liver enzyme CYP3A4
- Some vitamins and herbal products
- Certain drugs to treat chest pain or high blood pressure such as nitroglycerin, isosorbide
- Drugs to treat erectile dysfunction such as sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil
- Poppers containing amyl or butyl nitrite, theophylline
- Nitrates and phosphodiesterase inhibitors (including PDE5 inhibitors)
- If you smoke
- Low or high blood pressure
- A severe loss of body water (dehydration)
- Other lung conditions such as idiopathic interstitial pneumonia and pulmonary veno—occlusive disease
It is not clear whether this medication passes into the breast milk. Ask your doctor if you are breast—feeding.
Riociguat Side Effects
- Swelling in your hands, legs, or feet
- Unusual bleeding from the vagina
- Coughing up blood
- Bleeding around catheter site
- Black or bloody stools
- Vomit that contains blood or looks like coffee grounds
- Severe headache
- Vision problems
- Slurred speech
- Low red blood cells (anemia)— unusual tiredness, pale skin, cold hands and feet or shortness of breath
What Should I Avoid While Taking This Medication?
- It is advisable not have unprotected sex while taking Riociguat medication. For this, you must use birth control or contraceptive pills to prevent pregnancy during treatment and for at least 30 days after you stop taking this medication
- Smoking can make this medicine less effective. Tell your health care provider if you start or stop smoking while you are taking Riociguat
- Some antacids can make it harder for body to absorb Riociguat. So you just need to avoid taking this within 1 hour before or 1 hour after you take riociguat
What Happens If I Missed A Dose Of Riociguat?
Skip the missed dose and use your next dose at the regular time. Do not use two doses at the same time.
What Happens If I Overdose?
Seek emergency medical help or call the Poison Help line at 1—800—222—1222.
RELATED ARTICLES :