Generic Name— Sildenafil
Brand Name(s)— Revatio, Viagra
WHAT IS SILDENAFIL?
Sildenafil is a medication used to treat erectile dysfunction (impotence) in men. It works by increasing the blood flow to the particular area of the body. The drug does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) such as HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B, gonorrhea, syphilis.
It is not clear whether it is effective for treating sexual dysfunction in women.
HOW TO TAKE SILDENAFIL TABLET?
Sildenafil tablet is normally taken by mouth or injection into a vein to treat erectile dysfunction (ED).
Take sildenafil at least 30 minutes before having sexual intercourse. Do not take more than one tablet a day.
Do not take sildenafil with similar Viagra medications such as tadalafil (Cialis), avanafil (Stendra) or vardenafil (Levitra). Tell your doctor or health care provider about all other medications you use for erectile dysfunction.
Do not take this medication if you take other medicines to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension, such as riociguat (Adempas).
Do not take sildenafil medicine if you are also using a nitrate drug for chest pain or heart problems; including —
- Isosorbide dinitrate
- Isosorbide mononitrate
In addition, tell your doctor about all other medicines, especially —
- Anti—fungal medicines such as ketoconazole or itraconazole
- Medicine to treat HIV/AIDS such as ritonavir
- Medications to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) or a prostate disorder
Before taking sildenafil, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it or if you have the history of any other allergy.
Before using this medication, tell your heath care provider about your medical history, especially of —
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Low or high blood pressure
- History of painful or prolonged erection
- A severe loss of body water (dehydration)
- Penis conditions such as angulation, fibrosis, Peyronie’s disease
- Stroke in the past 6 months
- Heart attack or life—threatening irregular heartbeat in the past 6 months
- Conditions that may increase the risk of priapism such as leukemia, sickle cell anemia or multiple myeloma
- Eye problems such as retinitis pigmentosa, sudden decreased vision, NAION
During pregnancy, the medication should be used only when clearly needed. Since high blood pressure (hypertension) in the lungs is a serious condition that can harm both a pregnant woman and her unborn baby. If you are planning to get pregnant, consult with your doctor.
This medication passes into the breast milk in small amounts. Consult your doctor if you are breast—feeding.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF SILDENAFIL?
Common sildenafil side effects may include —
- Stomach upset
- Flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling)
- Sleeping disorders (insomnia)
- Muscle pain
- Back pain
- Abnormal vision (blurred vision, changes in color vision)
- Runny or stuffy nose
Stop using sildenafil and get emergency medical help if you have —
- Shortness of breath
- Seizure (convulsions)
- Chest pain or pressure
- Irregular heartbeat
- Vision changes or sudden vision loss
- Ringing in your ears, or sudden hearing loss
- Erection is painful or lasts longer than 4 hours
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- A light—headed feeling, like you might pass out
WHAT HAPPENS IF I TAKE AN OVERDOSE?
Seek emergency medical help or call the Poison Help line at 1—800—222—1222.
WHAT SHOULD I AVOID WHILE TAKING SILDENAFIL?
Avoid Consuming alcohol with sildenafil because it can cause many side effects.
Grapefruit or grapefruit juice may interact with sildenafil medication and lead to many health side effects. Avoid the use of grapefruit products.
Avoid using any other medicines to treat erectile dysfunction or impotence, such as alprostadil or yohimbine.
- Penis Enlargement: 7 Best Penis Exercises to Increase Length and Girth
- Infertility : Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors and Natural Treatments
- Testosterone Foods: 10 Foods to Instantly Boost Testosterone
- Viagra Foods : 7 Foods That Act Like A Natural Viagra
- Viagra Uses, Dosage, Side-Effects and Alternatives
- What Is Libido? Yoga, Ayurvedic, Home Treatment For Low Libido And Best Foods To Increase Libido
- What Is Delayed Ejaculation? It’s Causes, Symptoms, Risk, Prevention And Treatments
- What Happens to Your Body When You Stop Wearing Underwear
- Loose Vagina : Causes, How to Tighten Up, Kegal Exercise and More