Sinus is a disease that is causing a large population today. In the medical world it is called “sinusitis“. It is a nasal disease that starts with a cold, shortness of breath and pain in the muscles of the face. This problem can take serious form later.
Always keep in mind that not every cold can be called a sinus. There are some special symptoms, about which you should know. Through this article, we will inform you about the treatment of sinus and important information so that you can know how sinus occurs and how to prevent it.
WHAT IS SINUS?
The sinus skull is filled with air. It is on the forehead, nasal bones, cheeks and behind the eyes. There are no bacteria in the healthy sinus, but when there is inflammation in the sinus, or pneumonia, mucus accumulates, germs start growing in it. This is why infection occurs in the sinuses. This infection is called “sinus infection” or simply “sinusitis”. [Trusted Source 1]
TYPES OF SINUS:
What are The Different Types of Sinusitis?
i) Acute Rhinosinusitis:
Acute sinus is of the shortest duration. This sinus is due to viral infection and lasts for four weeks. The sinus is also caused by the common pathogens streptococcus pneumonia, moraxella catarrhalis and haemophilus influenzae.
ii) Subacute Rhinosinusitis:
Symptoms of subacute sinusitis can last up to 3 months. This condition is usually caused by seasonal allergies or bacterial infection.
iii) Recurrent Acute Rhinosinusitis:
This is a type of sinus that occurs repeatedly over time. It can happen four to five times a year. Its symptoms are seen every day for 7 days. Due to frequent occurrence, it is called recurrent.
iv) Chronic Sinusitis:
Chronic sinus is a long—lived sinus. It’s symptoms last for 12 weeks i.e. about 3 months. It can be caused by allergies, infections, mucus and inflammation.
v) Allergic Sinusitis:
Allergic sinusitis occurs due to an allergy to a person. A better way to treat allergic sinusitis is to avoid things that cause allergies.
CAUSES OF SINUSITIS:
What are The Causes of Sinusitis?
- Cold and cough
- Polluted air
- Smoke and dust
- Viruses, fungus and bacteria
- Dandruff originating from animal bodies
- Nasal bone growing in pointy shape
- Short nose hair, cilia, which do not allow mucus to come out of the nose properly
SYMPTOMS OF SINUSITIS:
What are The Symptoms of Sinusitis?
After knowing why sinus occurs, it’s also important to know its symptoms. In adults, acute sinusitis symptoms may begin with a cold. This condition of colds can worsen in 5 to 7 days instead of being cured.
For this reason, we are describing below some common symptoms of sinus. They are [Trusted Source 1] —
- Bad breath
- No smell
- Feeling tired and sick
- Cough, which becomes worse at night
- Pain behind the eyes and pain in the teeth
- Very soft face
- Sore throat
- Nasal congestion or running
Symptoms of sinusitis in children are as follows —
- High fever
- Runny nose, which lasts for at least 3 days
- Cold or respiratory disease, which gets better and then worsens
- Cough or runny nose, which has been present for more than 10 days and is not improving
WHAT ARE THE FASTEST WAYS TO GET RID OF A SINUS INFECTION INSTANTLY: 10 HOME REMEDIES
Some of the home remedies to treat sinus infection may include —
1. Essential Oil:
- Two to three drops of essential oil such as eucalyptus, ravensara or frankincense
Method to Use:
- Put the oil in the diffuser and smell its fragrance
- You can also massage the nose and head lightly with oil in your palm
Smelling the fragrance of essential oil is called aromatherapy. This therapy can be helpful in protecting against inflammation and bacteria occurring in sinus disease. Indeed, essential oils such as eucalyptus, ravensara and frankincense contain monoterpenes such as cinol, alpha-terpineol, and alpha pinen.
All of these monoterpene exhibit anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effects. For this reason, these essential oils are believed to be helpful in relieving inflammation in the sinuses and fighting the bacteria that thrive. [Trusted Source 4]
At the same time, peppermint, basil (Origanum syriacum), rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) can also be as essential oils for sinus infection. A study has said that these herbs and their oils have anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral activities. For this reason, these essential oils can be helpful in improving air flow in the nose as well as relieving respiratory tract discomfort and cough. [Trusted Source 5]
2. Apple Cider Vinegar:
- 5 to 10 drops of apple cider vinegar
Method of Use:
- Pour apple vinegar in a wide pot
- Now put about one liter of water in it
- Then heat the pot on the gas burner
- As soon as steam starts coming out of the water, take the vessel off
- Then, cover the head with a towel and steam it with the help of a steamer for about 5 to 10 minutes
- This can be done two to three times a day
Apple cider vinegar is rich in anti-microbial properties, which can reduce sinus infection caused by the bacteria. Steam can also help to reduce the heaviness in the sinus. [Trusted Source 1] [Trusted Source 6]
3. Lemon Balm:
- One teaspoon lemon balm oil
- One teaspoon lemon balm dry leaves
Method of Use:
- You can massage the head, nose and throat with the lemon balm oil
- Boil dry leaves of lemon balm in water and drink it as decoction
- Both methods are beneficial. Both can be adopted or one can use either
- In addition, lemon balm can be smelled by putting the lemon balm oil in the diffuser
The use of lemon balm is believed to cure headaches, which is one of the symptoms of sinus disease. For this reason, it is used in many types of aromatherapy and massage.
Lemon balm is rich in analgesic properties, which can reduce sinus headaches. For this reason, lemon balm can be considered as one of the best home remedy for sinus disease. [Trusted Source 7]
4. Herbal Tea:
(A) Cayenne Pepper Tea:
Required Material :
- 1/2 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Teaspoons honey
- 1 Small lemon
- A glass of hot water
Method of Use:
- Pour all the ingredients in warm water and mix them well
- Take this mixture to get relief from sinus symptoms
- One can drink one to two cups a day
Cayenne pepper tea can be consumed for the treatment of sinus at home as cayenne pepper can act as a decongestant or cold cough medicine to reduce the symptoms of cough and infection. [Trusted Source 8]
It has been used to reduce sinus symptoms by using it for about two weeks. Cayenne pepper can be used as a nasal spray because of the capsaicin present in it for the treatment of sinus. However, it is not safe to use by spraying it at home, so it is advisable to consume it as tea. [Trusted Source 9] [Trusted Source 10]
(B) Ginger Tea:
- 1-2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 2 Cups of water
Method of Use:
- Add ginger to the water
- Now let the water boil for some time
- When the water boils for about two to three minutes in a low flame, filter the water
- Now drink it like hot tea
- You can drink two cups of ginger tea in a day
Ginger can be used to reduce sinus headaches. It has pain relieving properties.
For this reason, ginger tea can also be consumed in migraine headaches. In addition, it may also reduce the symptoms of cough. You can also add honey to taste. [Trusted Source 11]
(C) Green Tea:
- A spoonful of green tea or a green tea bag
- A cup of hot water
Method of Use:
- Put a green tea bag in hot water and leave it for a while
- Sieve it after a while
- If a tea bag is used, take it out
- You can add honey and lemon to taste
- One can drink two to three cups of tea a day
It is believed that by consuming green tea regularly, the body avoids the effects of viruses and bacteria.
Indeed, anti-viral and anti-bacterial activities are found in it. For this reason, it can be beneficial for sinus infection. [Trusted Source 12]
- Two teaspoons of honey
- ½ Teaspoon lemon juice
- A glass of water
Method of Use:
- Mix two spoons of honey in a glass of lukewarm water
- Now add a few drops of lemon juice to it
- Drink it daily in the morning and evening
Honey can also be used for sinus disease. It may help to eliminate the pseudomonas aeruginosa and staphylococcus aureus bacteria that cause chronic rhino sinusitis.
For this reason, honey is considered a home remedy for sinus. [Trusted Source 13]
6. Hydrogen Peroxide:
- 30 ML filter water
- Hydrogen Peroxide (one fourth of water)
Method of Use:
- Put the water in a spray bottle
- Now put one fourth of the water in hydrogen peroxide spray bottle
- Pour water from the spray in the right nostril
- When the water comes out of the second nostril, add water to the left nostril
Studies show that hydrogen peroxide can reduce sinus and relieving the heaviness of the sinuses.
IMPORTANT NOTE— It is a kind of chemical, so be careful while using it and use it only under the doctor’s guidance.
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves
Method of Use:
- To make soup, grind garlic buds in the hot water
- Drink when slightly warm
Garlic has anti-bacterial properties, which can prevent germs from growing. For this reason, it is also recommended to consume garlic for sinus problem. Garlic is also said to help remove excessive mucus in the sinus. [Trusted Source 17] [Trusted Source 18]
8. Grape Seed Extracts:
- Few drops of grape seed extract
- Juice or water
Method of Use:
- Put the grape seed extract in water or juice
- Now drink it
- Alternatively you can also steam it by putting it in the water
Actually, sinus is a kind of infection caused by bacteria and viruses. For this reason, it is believed that grape fruit seed extract can prevent sinus infection by reducing the symptoms.
9. Horseradish Root:
- Horseradish root
- One and a half glasses of water
Method of Use:
- First boil the root with water
- Turn off the gas burner after the water boils and changes its color
- Now drink it like tea
- Alternatively, you can also suck its root directly
Horseradish root can be considered beneficial in sinus disease.
According to a research published on the website of NCBI, the root of horseradish is known to have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial characteristics. For this reason it is used for the treatment of acute sinusitis. [Trusted Source 21]
- Water (as needed)
Method of Use:
- Add water to the steamer and steam it
- If there is no steamer, you can also boil water in a vessel and steam it
Sinus symptoms may include cold, closed nose and heaviness.
To avoid these symptoms, steam can be used to get relief. It can reduce the heaviness of the sinuses. [Trusted Source 1]
NOTE— Above mentioned home remedies are not the treatment of sinus disease. They can only help to prevent and reduce sinus symptoms to some extent. In case of a serious condition, contact a doctor for the treatment of sinus.
YOGA FOR SINUSITIS:
Yoga poses can also be a great home remedy for sinus. Actually, special attention is paid to breathing and exhaling during yoga, due to which the respiratory system gets strengthened.
For this reason, yoga is considered better for sinus infection. Many Yogasanas such as Gomukhasana, Bhujangasana, Adho Mukha Svanasana are counted in the compound treatment of sinusitis.
WHEN TO SEE A DOCTOR?
If the symptoms of sinus mentioned above in the article last for three to four days, then it is mandatory to consult a doctor. If the symptoms of headache, heaviness in the nose and other sinusitis are not cured by home remedies, then it is time to seek a medical advice.
As home remedies are not the cure for any problem, they can work to prevent the problem. For this reason, it is important to consult a doctor in case of illness or any problem.
TREATMENT OF SINUSITIS INFECTION:
What are The Different Treatments of Sinusitis?
Doctors who treat sinus can give pain relief medicines for acute pain. This medicine can relieve headaches and other pains caused by sinuses.
It is advised to eat pseudoephedrine, but it can cause insomnia, anxiety or nervousness. Also, people with high blood pressure are advised to take this medicine carefully.
Xylometazoline may also be recommended for less than a week. At the same time, using more than a week can cause side effects such as rebound rhinitis, nasal congestion due to excessive use of this medicine.
If the sinus is caused by bacteria, it may be advisable to take antibiotics as a sinus medicine for about two weeks. While treating sinus disease, doctors may recommend taking amoxicillin (trimethoprim) or co-amoxiclav (clarithromycin) antibiotics, depending on the patient’s condition and allergies to them.
D) Intranasal Corticosteroids:
Intranasal corticosteroids are a kind of spray that is applied with the help of the nose. It can be helpful in treating chronic, acute and recurrent sinus.
In addition, sinus disease can also be cured with surgery. But, this condition comes when sinus medication doesn’t work. Only in the critical condition, doctors can perform surgery for the treatment of sinus.
F) Ayurvedic Treatment:
Sinus disease can be treated from Ayurveda. For this, contact an Ayurvedic doctor.
- Wash your hands thoroughly, especially after shaking hands with someone
- Stay away from stress
- Protect yourself from dust
- Keep steaming
- Drink adequate amounts of water and keep yourself hydrated
- Use of lukewarm facial packs, which may reduce nasal blockages caused by mucus
- Stay away from the things that cause sinus, such as smoking
- Consume foods that increase immunity and give the ability to fight against bacteria
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
👉 How long does a normal sinus last?
In general, the sinus can last 7 to 14 days. It also resolves quickly when sinusitis treatment begins on time.
👉 Which people are at greater risk of sinus infection?
People experiencing the following situations may come in the grip of sinus soon —
- Disease related to cilia (short hair of nose)
- Cystic fibrosis, in which very thick mucus accumulates in the lame or other parts of the body
- Weakened immune system due to HIV or chemotherapy
- 6 Herbal Teas That Have the Biggest Health Benefits
- Gout and Uric Acid : Do’s and Don’ts
- What is Hay Fever? It’s Causes, Symptoms and Home Remedies !!
- Hypothyroidism : Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
- Asthma Diagnosis and Treatment [Asthma Treatment Plan]
- Cervical Spondylosis : Causes, Symptoms, Treatment and Exercises