On hearing the name of the bael fruit, first that comes to our mind is its juice. In summer, the juice of this fruit starts selling fast on roadside. Wood apple can be used as raw or in the form of juice. In this article, you will know the proven benefits of bael fruit, its ultimate nutrition and side effects. For complete information, read this article till the end.
WHAT IS WOOD APPLE (BAEL FRUIT)?
Wood apple is also known as bael fruit, Bengal quince, golden apple, stone apple and Japanese bitter orange. Its scientific name is Aegle Marmelos.
Bael is a type of fruit. When unripe, the fruit is covered with a hard layer of green color. At the same time, it turns yellow after ripening and its outer layer remains hard. Its juice is widely consumed in summer in the North and South India.
The bael tree is originally found only in India, as well as in the southern part of Asia, Sri Lanka, Thailand and other regions.
The height of this tree can grow up to 30 feet and its fruits measure up to 5 to 9 cm. The outer shell of this fruit is hard and the inside is brown in color with small white seeds.
Apart from this, a good amount of vitamin B and vitamin C are also found in it. Every part of it is beneficial for the human body, whether it is its fruit or leaves, stems, branches and roots.
BENEFITS OF WOOD APPLES:
Wood apple benefits may include:
1. In Jaundice:
One reason for jaundice is believed to be inflammation of the liver. The benefits of bael fruit have also been seen to avoid jaundice. Traditionally, bael fruit has been used for the treatment of jaundice since hundreds of years.
At the same time, scientific research done on it has found that wood apple fruit has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help in the treatment of jaundice by reducing inflammation in the liver. (ALSO READ: 18 Effective Home Remedies for Jaundice)
2. In cholera:
Cholera is a bacterial infection that causes diarrhea and dehydration. To avoid this, consuming bael fruit can be beneficial.
Actually, anti-diarrhea activity is found in bael fruit. If its juice is consumed, the anti-diarrhea activity of the bael fruit may show positive effects in reducing the risk of cholera.
3. In Headaches:
In some cases, if the headache is not treated in time, then fatal consequences can be faced. In such a situation, consuming bael or its juice can save you from its risk. Vitamin C is found in bael and intake of vitamin C may work to correct neurogenic inflammation in patients with migraine.
4. In Eye Health:
It is only through healthy eyes that we are able to see the beauty around us. Eating bael fruit can be beneficial to keep the eyes healthy. This is being said because the amount of vitamin A is found in the bael fruit. Vitamin A intake can help improve eyesight.
5. In Diarrhea and Constipation:
If diarrhea is not treated at the right time, it can be fatal. In case of diarrhea, you can have loose stools. Bael fruit has anti-diarrhoeal properties that not only protect you from the risk of diarrhea, but can also help keep you safe from its risk.
At the same time, consuming bael can also benefit you in the problem of constipation, because the amount of crude fiber has been found in it. Along with helping in your digestion, crude fiber also helps you to overcome the problem of constipation.
6. In Piles:
In the case of piles, the veins around the rectum swell and the pain persists. The main causes of hemorrhoids include the problem of constipation and low fiber diet.
As we have already mentioned above in the article, bael fruit can be consumed to treat constipation and to be a good fiber source. It may reduce the risk of hemorrhoids.
7. Boosts Immune System:
Research has found that consuming bael fruit stimulates your immune system and helps strengthen it. About 100 grams of bael pulp contains 150 calories as well as many nutrients that improve body movements and improve metabolic activities, making you feel agile.
It is also a rich source of protein which promotes muscle growth and helps in quick wound healing. (ALSO READ: 12 Best Foods to Boost Immune System)
8. In Anemia:
Anemia is a condition that causes a lack of red blood cells in your blood. The most common cause of anemia is not getting enough iron.
At the same time, by eating bael pulp, we can replenish iron, because the amount of iron is found in bael fruit, which can help in curing anemia.
9. In Diabetes:
Bael fruit can also be used to treat diabetes and avoid the risk of it. For this you can consume bael fruit juice. To keep away from the problem caused by diabetes, bael can be beneficial because it has anti-diabetic properties. The anti-diabetic properties help reduce diabetes and its risk.
10. For Heart Health:
The benefits of wood apple fruit can also be seen here. In fact, this may be possible because it is considered a great source of cardioprotective agents.
Actively acting as a cardioprotective agent, it can be useful in protecting the heart from many diseases. In this situation, you can use the pulp of the bael fruit in food. (ALSO READ: Heart Healthy Foods : Top 10 Foods for a Healthy Heart)
11. Blood Cleanser:
Clean blood in the body is essential for leading a healthy life. So, if you want to protect your body from the damage caused by harmful and toxic substances present in the blood, then drink 50 grams of bael juice mixed with warm water and sweetness of sugar.
It is also beneficial for the treatment of scurvy. It is a type of blood disease that can prove fatal. This happens due to the deficiency of Vitamin C in the body. Bael is an abundant source of vitamin C, which help prevent this disease to some extent.
12. In Vomiting:
If you or any member of your household is troubled by the problem of vomiting, then a decoction of bael root can be given to him/her. It can help you in case of vomiting.
In fact, a decoction of bael root is found to have antibiotic action, which may be beneficial in the treatment of nausea and vomiting.
However, scientific research is still needed on how consuming bael fruit can give you relief from vomiting.
13. To Heal Gastric Ulcers:
You must be adopting various home remedies to cure gastric ulcer, while consumption of bael can be beneficial in this case as well.
Actually, bael fruit has naturally occurring antioxidant properties. According to a scientific study, the naturally occurring antioxidant properties may help heal gastric ulcers.
14. For TB disease:
The benefits of bael fruit can also be seen to avoid TB disease. A medical research has found that anti-microbial action is found in bael fruit.
The study also reported that this action can effectively reduce the side effects caused by M. Tuberculosis while working effectively for TB disease.
15. In Hair Fall:
The benefits of bael can also be seen to prevent the problem of hair fall. Scientists believe that iron and zinc deficiency causes the problem of hair loss.
Both of these nutrients are found in bael fruit. The problem of hair fall can be prevented by its consumption. (ALSO READ: What are The Causes of Hair Fall and How to Stop Hair Fall Using Home Remedies)
16. To Relieve Inflammation:
Sometimes due to unknown reasons or due to injury, some part of our body gets swollen. Here, bael fruit can be beneficial to get relief from this.
Actually, bael has anti-inflammatory properties and these properties can actively act to reduce inflammation.
Vitiligo is a skin condition in which the skin loses its color in some parts of the body. Many people are suffering from this problem.
At the same time, bael is counted in the category of medicinal trees. This is the reason why the consumption of bael juice can be useful in the treatment of people suffering from vitiligo.
But which property is found in bael fruit, due to which the problem of vitiligo is cured, there is still a need for accurate scientific research on this. Therefore, before consuming it in this situation, please consult a doctor once.
18. To Avoid Dandruff:
To avoid the problem of dandruff, consuming bael can prove to be beneficial for you. Actually, zinc nutrient is considered essential to cure the problem of dandruff.
At the same time, the amount of zinc is found in bael, due to which the problem of dandruff can be eliminated.
USE OF WOOD APPLE: HOW TO USE WOOD APPLE (BAEL FRUIT)
Wood apple (bael fruit) can be used as:
- It can be consumed by making juice from the pulp of the bael.
- The ripe bael pulp can be used for eating.
- Bael fruit can be consumed by making syrup.
- Bael marmalade can be used in food.
- By drying the bael and making its powder, you can take it along with milk.
WHEN AND HOW MUCH TO EAT (RECOMMENDED INTAKE):
You can use 100 grams of bael at a time. However, once consult a dietician for the correct information related to its consumption.
You can consume bael at any time of the day. However, its syrup and juice are used more in the afternoon. It has a cooling effect, so it is beneficial to consume it only in the summer.
SIDE EFFECTS OF WOOD APPLES:
Bael fruit can also have some side-effects; including:
- Bael is rich in sugar, excessive consumption of which can cause type-2 diabetes and high blood pressure. Therefore, avoid excessive consumption of it.
- Sufficient amount of phosphorus is found in bael fruit. Excess phosphorus can be harmful for people with kidney disease.
- The amount of calcium is also found in bael, which can cause kidney stone in excess consumption.
Now, you must have come to know the benefits and side-effects of bael fruit. You have also learned its uses and recommended intake. Hope this article will prove useful to you, share it with others and make everyone aware of the benefits of bael.
- Vitamin Supplementation as Possible Prophylactic Treatment against Migraine with Aura and Menstrual Migraine; Munvar Miya Shaik and Siew Hua Gan; PMCID: PMC4359851. PMID: 25815319.
- Diarrhea; Medline Plus.
- Yarqaan (Jaundice); National Health Portal, India.
- Protective effects of Aegle marmelos fruit pulp on 2,4,6-trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid-induced experimental colitis; Rohit R. Ghatule, Manish K. Gautam, Shalini Goel, Amit Singh and Vinod K. Joshi; PMCID: PMC4047580. PMID: 24914296.
- Cholera; Medline Plus.
- Physico Chemical Analysis of Bael (Aegle Marmelos) Fruit Pulp, Seed and Pericarp; Academia.
- Vitamin A; Medline Plus.
- Definitions of Health Terms: Nutrition; Medline Plus.
- Hemorrhoids; National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease.
- Anemia; Medline Plus.
- Bael Fruit; Aegle marmelos Correa.
- Aegle marmelos fruit extract attenuates Helicobacter pylori Lipopolysaccharide induced oxidative stress in Sprague Dawley rats; Yarasi Gayathri Ramakrishna,Kumarasamy Savithri,Manfred Kist and Sivasitamparam Niranjali Devaraj; PMCID: PMC4615325. PMID: 26482072
- Phosphorus in diet; Medline Plus.
- Antioxidant properties of natural compounds used in popular medicine for gastric ulcers; M G Repetto and S F Llesuy; PMID: 12011936.
- Isolation and Characterization of Antimycobacterial Compounds from Fruits of Aegle marmelos ( L . ); Corrêa, Suja, L. Jose, D. Lakshmanan, A. Vidya, RJ ReshmiNair and R. A. Kumar
- Diet and hair loss: effects of nutrient deficiency and supplement use; Emily L. Guo and Rajani Katta; PMCID: PMC5315033. PMID: 28243487.
- Vitiligo; Medline Plus.
- Study of medicinal plants used to heal skin diseases by tribes of west Singhbhum district of Jharkhand (India); Swati Celia Topno and Manoj Ranjan Sinha.
- Calcium in diet; Medline Plus.
- Seborrheic Dermatitis and Dandruff: A Comprehensive Review; Luis J. Borda and Tongyu C. Wikramanayake; PMCID: PMC4852869. NIHMSID: NIHMS754376. PMID: 27148560.
- Studies on the antidiarrhoeal activity of Aegle marmelos unripe fruit: Validating its traditional usage; S Brijesh Poonam Daswani, Pundarikakshudu Tetali and Noshir Antia; PMCID: PMC2788518. PMID: 19930633.
- Sweeteners – sugars; Medline Plus.
- Effect of aqueous extract of Aegle marmelos unripe fruit on inflammatory bowel disease; Jayanti P. Behera,Bisweswar Mohanty, Y. Roja Ramani,Bandana Rath, and Supriya Pradhan; PMCID: PMC3480795. PMID: 23112424.
- Bael (Aegle marmelos) a super fruit of an hour: A review; Sawale KR, Deshpande HW and Kulkarni DB; International Journal of Chemical Studies.