There is no doubt that nuts or dry fruits are beneficial for our health. Along with a healthy diet, if you include dry fruits in your routine, it is good for your health. Along with almonds, raisins, dates and walnuts, there are many dry fruits that help you stay healthy.
What Are Walnuts?
Walnuts are a type of dried fruit. The scientific name of its tree is the genus Jugailus. A walnut fruit has a single seed, which is tasty and crispy.
It is used in a wide range of foods, including mainly cakes, cookies and energy bars. Many types of nutrients are present in it, which are necessary for our body.
Walnut Nutritional Value
According to Nutrition Data, per ounce (28 g) serving of walnuts provide —
- 183 calories
- 3.8 g carbohydrates
- 1.9 g fiber
- 4.3 g protein
- 27.4 mg calcium
- 0.8 mg iron
- 44.2 mg magnesium
- 96.9 mg phosphorus
- 123 mg potassium
- 5.6 IU vitamin A
- 0.8 mcg vitamin K
- 27.4 mcg folate
What are The Health Benefits of Walnuts?
Due to its medicinal properties, the intake of walnuts can have many health benefits. It can help in keeping and treating many diseases; including —
1. For Heart Health :
Another research has reported that it contains polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are beneficial for cardiovascular health.
Apart from this, walnuts are also beneficial for those who have high blood pressure problem.
2. For Brain Health :
A research was done on the medicinal properties of walnuts, which suggests that its use can improve brain functioning.
At the moment, further research is needed on this, so that it is completely clear how omega-3 works on brain functioning.
3. For Cancer :
Walnuts can prove to be beneficial in warding off fatal diseases like cancer.
According to a medical research, anti-cancer effect is found in walnuts.
It can prevent cancerous tumors from growing. This information is given in a research paper available on the website of National Center for Biotechnology Information. [Trusted Source 4]
4. For Bones :
Walnuts can also be consumed to strengthen bones.
Consuming foods containing alpha—linolenic acid strengthens bones and the foods that contain this acid also include walnuts.
In addition, walnuts also contain calcium and vitamin D, which are necessary to keep bones healthy. [Trusted Source 5]
In such a situation, it can be said that the benefits of eating walnut include keeping bones healthy.
5. In Weight Loss :
Consuming walnuts can also prove beneficial in reducing weight.
At the moment, further research is needed on this.
6. In Pregnancy :
A scientific research suggests that consuming walnuts during pregnancy may prove beneficial.
According to this research, fatty acids, vitamin A and E found in walnuts, can help in the mental development of an infant.
In addition, walnuts are rich in phenolic compounds, which can have a beneficial effect on health.
It also has anticonvulsant, neuroprotective, and antioxidant properties.
7. In Low Blood Pressure :
There is a risk of heart disease in case of having high blood pressure.
In such a situation, it would be better to keep away the problem of high blood pressure. For this, consuming walnuts can prove to be a good option.
According to a research, nut consumption may work to reduce high blood pressure, which may help to keep the risk associated with heart. [Trusted Source 8]
8. Strengthen Immune System :
Strengthening the immune system can help to keep many diseases away. Walnut properties may prove helpful in strengthening it.
9. In Stress Relief And Better Sleep :
Consuming walnuts can relieve stress and sleep problems.
They are rich in nutrients like vitamin B6, tryptophan, protein and folic acid, which can relieve stress.
In addition, omega-3 fatty acids present in it can improve mood, which can lead to good sleep.
10. Diabetes Prevention :
Consumption of walnuts can prove to be beneficial in a problem like diabetes.
A scientific research suggests that nut consumption may be helpful in the prevention of diabetes. [Trusted Source 11]
At the same time, research conducted by a university in Beijing in this regard shows that anti-diabetic effects are found in walnut trees and leaves.
Due to this effect, it can work to reduce the amount of glucose in the blood. [Trusted Source 12]
11. Epilepsy Prevention :
The benefits of eating walnuts can also be to keep away the epilepsy problem.
Overproduction of free radicals increases the risk of disorders such as epilepsy and neurological. Anticonvulsant drugs are used to reduce this problem. This medicine may reduce epileptic seizures.
At the same time, according to the research, anticonvulsant effect is found in walnuts. Because of this effect walnuts may serve as neuroprotective compounds against epilepsy.
Thus the problem of epilepsy can be avoided. At the same time, if someone has epilepsy, the symptoms can be reduced somewhat. [Trusted Source 13]
12. Anti-Inflammatory :
Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects have been shown to play an important role in solving many problems.
At the same time, a scientific research has found that both these effects are found in walnuts, which can work to protect against the problem of inflammation. Oxidative stress can cause fatal problems such as cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
Therefore, a better option to avoid this problem may be nut consumption. [Trusted Source 14]
13. Healthy Stomach :
According to a research, consuming 43 grams of walnuts per day for 8 weeks produces probiotics and butyric acid in a healthy person, which promotes good bacteria.
This can help to keep the intestines healthy. This has also been confirmed in the research paper available on the NCBI website. [Trusted Source 15]
14. Gallstones :
Consumption of walnuts can be helpful in the treatment of gallstones.
According to a scientific study, some nuts; including walnuts, contain unsaturated fatty acids, fiber and minerals. All these nutrients can help to relieve gallstones.
In such a situation, it can be said that the benefits of walnuts can be to get rid of gallstones. [Trusted Source 14]
Keep in mind that walnuts can only help, it should not be considered a cure for gallstones.
15. Anti-Aging :
Consumption of walnuts may prove to be helpful to prevent the effects of aging.
A research paper published in this regard states that walnuts are rich in vitamins, which acts to slow down the effects of aging.
16. For Healthy Hair :
At the moment, further research needs to be done regarding the benefits of eating walnuts for hair.
When and How To Eat?
- Mix banana and walnuts in yogurt and eat it as a smoothie. You can also add a spoon of honey to taste. You can have this smoothie after lunch as a dessert
- You can also use walnuts as bread spread. For this, you can add walnut powder to the butter and eat it by applying it on the bread. You can eat it as a morning breakfast or as an evening snack
- The easiest way is to eat two to three pieces of walnuts with a glass of milk at bedtime
- You can roast and eat walnuts in the evening snacks
- You can drink one spoon nut powder and one spoon honey in milk
Note — Walnut cheering is hot, so if you are eating walnuts in the summer season, pay attention to whether it suits you or not. If warm things affect you in a negative way, consume it only in winter.
How Many Walnuts Can Be Eaten In A Day?
A new U.S. study suggests that walnuts fight free radicals that can damage body’s cells.
Walnut comes with many antioxidant polyphenols and compounds that interact with these free radicals to make them stabilize.
Walnuts have almost twice as many antioxidant polyphenols as peanuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, macadamias and pecans.
Joe Vinson, U.S. chemistry professor and study researcher said, “A handful of walnuts contains almost twice as much antioxidants as an equivalent amount of any other commonly consumed nut”.
“But unfortunately, people don’t eat a lot of them.” His advice — eat seven walnuts a day. Plus, like all nuts, walnuts are loaded with fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals.
A young person can consume up to 30 grams of walnuts per day. [Trusted Source 18]
Not everyone’s diet is the same. Therefore, you can seek the advice of a specialist to know its proper amount.
How to Choose Good Walnuts?
Walnuts come in three different sizes — small, medium and large size. When choosing a walnut, check its peel. If there is a hole in the peel or it is broken, avoid taking such nut. Also check that the walnuts should be light in weight.
How to Store Walnuts for A Long Time?
If you want to store peeled walnuts, keep it in an airtight container in a cool place, away from the sun. By doing this, it can remain safe for three months. At the same time, if you want to store a walnut without peeling, then you can store it for freeze and run it for six months.
Let me tell you that walnuts take the flavor of other things quickly. In such a situation, keep them away from other food items like onions and fish etc. while keeping them in freeze.
What are The Side-Effects of Walnuts?
The side-effects of eating walnuts are — [Trusted Source 19]
- Allergies — If someone is allergic to it, do not consume walnuts. This can cause a feeling of chest strain or difficulty in breathing.
- Skin Rashes — Walnuts can also increase the risk of skin rashes. Its peels contain ingredients that can cause red rashes on your skin.
- Skin Cancer — Walnuts contain some chemical ingredients that can increase the risk of skin cancer.
You must have understood in this article that if the nut is consumed in a balanced amount, it gives miraculous benefits.
We hope that the information given here will work for you and you will be able to reap the benefits of eating walnuts. If you have not started consuming walnuts yet, then include it in your diet from today.
- Walnuts decrease risk of cardiovascular disease: a summary of efficacy and biologic mechanisms, Kris-Etherton PM; PMID: 24500935
- Postprandial Effects of Walnut Components Versus Whole Walnuts on Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) Risk Reduction, U.S. National Library of Medicine, Penny Kris-Etherton, Penn State University
- Effects of walnuts (Juglans regia) on learning and memory functions, Haider S, Batool Z, Tabassum S, Perveen T, Saleem S, Naqvi F, Javed H, Haleem DJ; PMID: 22048906
- Walnuts Have Potential for Cancer Prevention and Treatment in Mice, W. Elaine Hardman, PMCID: PMC3952627, PMID: 24500939
- An increase in dietary n-3 fatty acids decreases a marker of bone resorption in humans, Amy E Griel, Penny M Kris-Etherton, Kirsten F Hilpert, Guixiang Zhao, Sheila G West, and Rebecca L Corwin, PMCID: PMC1784104, PMID: 17227589
- Walnut consumption in a weight reduction intervention: effects on body weight, biological measures, blood pressure and satiety, Cheryl L. Rock,Shirley W. Flatt, Hava-Shoshana Barkai, Bilge Pakiz, Dennis D. Heath, PMCID: PMC5715655, PMID: 29202751
- Maternal feeding with walnuts (Juglans regia) improves learning and memory in their adult pups, Majid Asadi-Shekaari, Abuzar Karimi, Mohammad Shabani, Vahid Sheibani, and Khadije Esmaeilpour, PMCID: PMC4075725, PMID: 2505029
- Effect of a Walnut Diet on Office and 24-Hour Ambulatory Blood Pressure in Elderly Individuals, Mónica Domènech, Mercè Serra-Mir, Irene Roth, Tania Freitas-Simoes, Cinta Valls-Pedret, Montserrat Cofán, Anna López, Aleix Sala-Vila, Carlos Calvo, Sujatha Rajaram, Joan Sabaté, Emilio Ros
- Protein Hydrolyzates from Changbai Mountain Walnut (Juglans mandshurica Maxim.) Boost Mouse Immune System and Exhibit Immunoregulatory Activities; Jing Li, Ji Wang, Chunlei Liu, Li Fang, and Weihong Min, Volume 2018 |Article ID 4576561
- Nutrient and Stress Management, Journal of Nutrition & Food Sciences, Karuna Singh; DOI: 10.4172/2155-9600.1000528
- Walnut Consumption Is Associated with Lower Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Women, An Pan, Qi Sun, JoAnn E. Manson, Walter C. Willett, and Frank B. Hu; PMCID: PMC3738245, PMID: 23427333
- Phytochemistry, Bioactivity and Potential Impact on Health of Juglans: the Original Plant of Walnut, Natural Product Communications, Dongdong Bia, Yicheng Zhaoa, Rui Jianga, Yan Wanga, Yuxin Tiana, Xiaoyi Chena, Shaojuan Baia and Gaimei She; 2016 Vol. 11 No. 6 869 – 880
- Potential Mechanisms Involved in the Anticonvulsant Effect of Walnut Extract on Pentylenetetrazole-Induced Seizure, Majid Asadi-Shekaari,Azam Eslami, Tajpari Kalantaripour, and Siyavash Joukar; PMCID: PMC5586938, PMID: 25196480
- Health Benefits of Nut Consumption, Emilio Ros; PMCID: PMC3257681, PMID: 22254047
- A Walnut-Enriched Diet Affects Gut Microbiome in Healthy Caucasian Subjects: A Randomized, Controlled Trial, Charlotte Bamberger,Andreas Rossmeier, Katharina Lechner, Liya Wu, Elisa Waldmann, Sandra Fischer, Renée G. Stark, Julia Altenhofer, Kerstin Henze, and Klaus G. Parhofer; PMCID: PMC5852820, PMID: 29470389
- Scientific Processing of Walnuts Necessary for Amazing Health Benefits, G M Mir, Owais Nisar, Uzma Iqbal
- Walnut; U.S. Department of Agriculture, FDC ID: 562702 GTIN/UPC:041270930376
- Nuts and seeds, Victoria State Government, Better Health Channel
- Food Allergy; U.S. National Library of Medicine