Call jackfruit a vegetable or a fruit, this confusion is in almost everyone’s mind. Whatever you believe in it, the health benefits of eating jackfruit are not going to change. In this article, you will know about 16 secret benefits of jackfruit. This article will also cover ultimate nutrition value of jackfruit, its side-effects and how to eat jackfruit.
WHAT IS JACKFRUIT:
The scientific name of jackfruit is Artocarpus heterophyllus. It is mainly found in South-West India. In addition, it is also cultivated in the Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines. Jackfruit is considered as one of the largest fruit in the world. It becomes sweet and tasty when ripe and turns yellow from inside. You can consume it ripe and unripe.
JACKFRUIT NUTRITION FACTS:
According to Food Data Central, per 100 gram serving of raw jackfruit contains:
- Energy: 95 kcal
- Protein: 1.72 g
- Carbohydrate: 23.2 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Calcium: 24 mg
- Iron: 0.23 mg
- Magnesium: 29 mg
- Phosphorus: 21 mg
- Potassium: 448 mg
- Sodium: 2 mg
- Zinc: 0.13 mg
- Manganese: 0.043 mg
- Vitamin A: 110 IU
- Vitamin C: 13.7 mg
- Vitamin E: 0.34 mg
- Thiamin: 0.105 mg
- Riboflavin: 0.055 mg
- Niacin: 0.92 mg
- Vitamin B6: 0.329 mg
- Folate: 24 µg
- Water: 73.5 g
- Fatty acids, total saturated: 0.195 g
- Fatty acids, total monounsaturated: 0.155 g
- Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated: 0.094 g
BENEFITS OF JACKFRUIT:
Jackfruit can be beneficial for health in many ways. The properties of jackfruit and the healthful nutrients present in it make it beneficial for health. In this section, we will know about the health benefits of jackfruit in detail.
1. KEEP THE HEART HEALTHY:
The benefits of jackfruit can also be seen to keep the heart healthy. According to a scientific study, jackfruit is rich in vitamin B6, which helps reduce homocysteine levels in the blood, which may reduce the risk of many heart diseases. Homocysteine is an element, which may work boost the risk of heart disease.
At the same time, research also states that jackfruit contains potassium in plenty, which may also provide protection against heart disease and stroke by lowering blood pressure.
2. STRENGTHEN IMMUNE SYSTEM:
Consuming it can also prove beneficial to strengthen the immune system. A research clearly mentions that the consumption of jackfruit helps increase its antioxidant capacity and lactic acid, which can work boost immune system.
In addition, according to an another research, jackfruit is rich in vitamins A and C, which help increase immunity. Along with this, it has also been revealed in the research that its consumption can prove beneficial to reduce the risk of having viral infections.
3. FOR DIGESTION:
According to a scientific study, jackfruit is a good source of fiber, which can play a vital role in digestive health. Fiber can help prevent constipation and softens stools. Along with this, fiber is also considered beneficial in better cleaning of the intestines and removing toxins from the digestive system.
4. IN CANCER:
Consuming jackfruit can prove to be beneficial when it comes to preventing fetal diseases like cancer. According to a research, jackfruit is rich in phytonutrients including saponins, lignans and isoflavones, which may show anti-cancer effects.
In addition, according to an another study, jackfruit contains dietary fiber in plenty, which can work prevent colon cancer.
5. HELPS PREVENT ANEMIA:
Iron deficiency in the body is considered to be the main cause of anemia. Consuming jackfruit can prove beneficial to prevent this problem to a great extent. At the same time, jackfruit is rich in iron.
6. KEEP BONES HEALTHY:
The benefits of jackfruit can also be seen to keep bones healthy. It is rich in potassium and magnesium. Potassium helps protect bones from damage and magnesium works absorb calcium. In this way, it helps strengthen bones.
At the same time, jackfruit may also help prevent bone related disorders, including osteoporosis.
7. IN THYROID:
Jackfruit can play a vital role in thyroid problems. It contains copper in plenty, which helps build thyroid metabolism. At the same time, copper is also considered beneficial in thyroid disorders.
According to a study, jackfruit is rich in vitamin C, which may be an important element for the people with hypothyroidism (a medical condition in which the thyroid gland doesn’t produce enough thyroid hormone). In such a situation, it can be said that jackfruit can be helpful in reducing the problem of hypothyroidism.
8. JACKFRUIT FOR WEIGHT LOSS:
Jackfruit can also be included in your diet to reduce the problem of obesity. Many scientific studies state that jackfruit is a rich source of fiber, which can help in reducing weight.
In addition to this, it has very few calories. Not only this, calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, vitamin A and vitamin C present in jackfruit can also prove to be helpful in weight control.
9. IN DIABETES:
Jackfruit can also help control the problem of diabetes to some extent. Jackfruit is a rich source of vitamin B, which can work improve insulin for diabetics. In addition, anti-diabetic properties of jackfruit can also help control the problem of diabetes.
Also, according to Ayurvedic and traditional medicine, consuming jackfruit leaves boiled in hot water can help reduce blood sugar.
10. CONTROL BLOOD PRESSURE:
As we have previously discussed in the article, jackfruit is rich in potassium, which can help lower blood pressure. In addition, it may also work reduce the effects of sodium, which is thought to cause an increase in the blood pressure.
At the same time, the amount of potassium in jackfruit is high and the amount of sodium is low, so those who have the problem of high blood pressure must include jackfruit in their diet.
11. FOR EYES:
The benefits of eating jackfruit can also be seen for eye health. Jackfruit is rich in vitamin A, which is considered a vital nutrient for maintaining eyesight.
Along with this, it can also help protect against the problem of cataract and macular degeneration.
12. HELPS REDUCE HEADACHES:
Jackfruit can also be beneficial when it comes to reducing the problem of headache. Research on this topic has revealed that jackfruit bark is used as a natural remedy for headache in many countries.
In addition, the use of jackfruit leaves can also be effective in reducing headache. However, more research is still needed on this topic.
13. RELIEVE PAIN:
This is confirmed in a research that jackfruit can also be used to relieve pain. According to the research, jackfruit and jackfruit seeds both have analgesic properties. Its effect can help reduce pain.
14. JACKFRIUT BENEFITS OF SKIN:
The use of jackfruit can also be beneficial for keeping the skin healthy. Jackfruit is rich in vitamin B and vitamin C. vitamin B helps in the reconstruction of skin cells and vitamin C works fight against free radicals that cause damage to the skin.
The antioxidant properties of vitamin C and its ability to form collagen make it a special nutrient for the skin. In addition, according to a scientific research, vitamin C helps protect the skin from the harmful rays of the sun.
15. JACKFRUIT FOR HAIR:
Along with health and skin, the fruit can also be beneficial for the strength of hair. Jackfruit contains vitamins like thiamine and riboflavin, which can be helpful in keeping the hair healthy.
Apart from this, according to an another research, jackfruit seeds can also be used to stimulate hair growth.
16. REDUCE INFLAMMATION:
The benefits of eating jackfruit can also be seen in controlling inflammation related problems. A research in this regard suggests that flavonoids present in jackfruit may exhibit anti-inflammatory effects, which may be beneficial in reducing inflammation.
HOW TO USE JACKFRUIT:
Jackfruit can be consumed in many ways; including:
- It can be consumed unripe.
- Jackfruit turns yellow inside when ripe, which can also be eaten directly.
- You can make raw jackfruit curry.
- Jackfruit pickle can also be made.
- It can also be used to make jackfruit pulp chips.
SIDE EFFECTS OF JACKFRUIT:
Jackfruit can have both benefits and side-effects. Side-effects of jackfruit include:
- It can cause allergy. So, if you are allergic to it, do not consume it.
- Its excessive consumption can cause digestive problems.
- It can also cause infertility in men.
- The consumption of jackfruit can worsen glucose levels in diabetic patients.
- Jackfruit contains fiber in plenty, which can cause stomach upset.
- When eaten in excessive amounts, it can also have a negative effect on the immune system.
After reading this article, you must have understood how beneficial can be a jackfruit for your health. At the same time, you have also learned about the side-effects of jackfruit as well as how to eat jackfruit. Before chopping raw jackfruit, always wear hand gloves or apply mustard oil on both your hands. The milk of raw fruit can get on hands and it may be very difficult to remove.
- 13 Proven health benefits of green banana
- 11 Solid Reasons Why You Should Drink Salt Water
- Moringa (Drumstick): Benefits, Nutrition, Side Effects and How to Use
- Pointed Gourd (Parwal): Benefits, Nutrition, Side Effects and How to Use
- 21 Incredible Health Benefits of Broccoli
- Nutritional and Health Benefits of Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam.): A Review; R. A. S. N. Ranasinghe, S. D. T. Maduwanthi, and R. A. U. J. Marapana; PMCID: PMC6339770. PMID: 30723733.
- Jackfruit raw; Food Data Central.
- Effects of co-fermented collagen peptide-jackfruit juice on the immune response and gut microbiota in immunosuppressed mice; Tingting Ma, Chuan Li, Fuqiang Zhao and Jun Cao; PMID: 34237564.
- Jackfruit; Wikipedia.
- Benefits of Jackfruit and its Natural Properties to Treat Diabetes or Colon Cancer and Weight Loss Related Issues; Prashant Singh Parihar, Shibani Brahma and Aditi Shirole; Volume: 08 Issue: 03 | Mar 2021; e-ISSN: 2395-0056, p-ISSN: 2395-0072.
- Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus): Biodiversity Nutritional Contents and Health; Author: Shrikant Baslingappa Swami and Sandeep Kalse.
- Anemia Also called: Iron poor blood; Medline Plus.
- Effect of vitamin C on the absorption of levothyroxine in patients with hypothyroidism and gastritis; William Jubiz and Marcela Ramirez; PMID: 24601693.
- Functional herbal food ingredients used in type 2 diabetes mellitus; Pathirage Kamal Perera and Yunman Li; PMCID: PMC3358966. PMID: 22654403.
- Uses and health benefits of jackfruit; Neeraj Gupta, Monika Sood, Fozia Hameed and Jagmohan Singh; ISSN–0974–0759; Volume 15 Issue 1 June, 2020 103-104.
- Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus) and Breadfruit (A. altilis): Phytochemistry Pharmacology Commercial Uses and Perspectives for Human Nourishment; Reza Raihandhany and Adhityo Wicaksono.
- Stamping out cancer; U Sanyal; PMCID: PMC2395291. PMID: 14676789.
- Screening of Analgesic and Immunomodulator activity of Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam. Leaves (Jackfruit) in Mice; Om Prakash, Jyoti and Amit Kumar.
- Assessment of Consumption Practices of Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus lam.) Seeds in Villages of Jalalpur Block District Ambedarnagar (U.P.) India; Pooja Maurya; Vol-II, Issue-VIII, January- 2016, P: ISSN NO: 2394-0344. E: ISSN NO: 2455-0817.
- Effects of Vitamin B Complex and Vitamin C on Human Skin Cells: Is the Perceived Effect Measurable?; Julian-Dario Rembe, Carolin Fromm-Dornieden and Ewa Klara Stuermer; PMID: 29672394.
- JACKFRUIT: A HEALTH BOON; Arora Tejpal and Parle Amrita.
- Oral allergy syndrome to a jackfruit (Artocarpus integrifolia); B Wüthrich, A Borga and L Yman; PMID: 9188925.