It is believed that more than thousand varieties of bananas are produced around the world. Similar to ripe bananas, green bananas also have many surprising health benefits. Unripe banana is green in color. It has many essential and healthful nutrients such as vitamin B6, vitamin C, fiber, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and phenolic compounds. In this article, we will reveal 13 science-based health benefits of eating raw banana. In addition, you will also know the side-effects of green banana and how to use it. For complete information, read this article till the end.
GREEN BANANA NUTRITION FACTS:
According to Food Data Central, per 100g serving of raw banana contains:
- Energy: 89 kcal
- Protein: 1.09 g
- Total lipid (fat): 0.33 g
- Carbohydrate: 22.8 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Calcium: 5 mg
- Iron: 0.26 mg
- Vitamin A: 64 IU
- Vitamin B6: 0.367 mg
- Vitamin C: 8.7 mg
- Vitamin K: 0.5 µg
- Thiamin: 0.031 mg
- Riboflavin: 0.073 mg
- Magnesium: 27 mg
- Phosphorus: 22 mg
- Potassium: 358 mg
- Folate: 20 µg
- Sodium: 1 mg
- Zinc: 0.15 mg
- Copper: 0.078 mg
- Manganese: 0.27 mg
- Selenium: 1 µg
- Niacin: 0.665 mg
- Water: 74.9 g
- Cholesterol: Zero
HEALTH BENEFITS OF GREEN BANANA:
The benefits of raw banana include:
1. GOOD SOURCE OF VITAMIN B6:
We get vitamin B6 by eating raw bananas. A cup of boiled raw banana can meet 39 percent of the vitamin B6 required of our body in a day. Vitamin B6 plays an important role in the reaction of more than 100 enzymes in the body.
2. CONTAINS FIBER IN PLENTY:
A high amount of fiber is present in green (raw) banana. Fiber is considered important for the functions of the body’s digestive system and the process of passing stools.
One cup of boiled raw banana contains about 3.6 grams of fiber. Consuming enough fiber also reduces your chances of getting diabetes.
3. RICH IN RESISTANCE STARCH:
Resistance starch is a starch that is not broken down by enzymes in the digestive tract and acts more like a fiber than a starch. Unripe banana contains high amounts of resistant starch.
And; according to experts, adding high-resistance starchy foods like raw bananas to the diet helps reduce the risk of diabetes in a person, because it is also helpful in controlling blood sugar.
Along with this, it also helps in reducing the level of cholesterol in the blood, which also reduces your chances of getting heart disease.
4. HELPS CONTROL WEIGHT:
The benefits of eating green banana can work in reducing weight along with controlling appetite. Raw banana contains fiber in plenty, which fills your stomach for a long time and you eat less. In this way, it helps control weight to some extent.
5. IN DIGESTION:
Consuming raw bananas can help improve digestion. Green bananas are rich in fiber and resistant starch. Both of these nutrients may help increase the efficiency of the digestive system. In addition, it works in digesting food quickly.
At the same time, research also states that raw banana can help overcome many stomach related problems.
6. CONTOLLED SUGAR:
The main cause of having diabetes can be due to the increase in the amount of sugar in the blood. Raw banana can help in this regard. It contains resistant starch and fiber in plenty. Fiber and resistant starch may help in reducing the level of sugar in the blood.
At the same time, the anti-diabetic properties present in it can be beneficial in reducing the risk of diabetes. If someone has a problem of diabetes, then it is vital to seek medical treatment along with consuming raw banana.
7. IN GASTROINTESTINAL DISEASES:
Gastrointestinal disorders may include diseases such as hemorrhoids, constipation, diarrhea and colon cancer. In today’s time, these problems become very common. In such a situation, eating raw banana can help to some extent.
Raw banana work fight against all these problems and helps reduce their symptoms. According to a research, it contains a rich amount of fiber and starch, both of them are considered beneficial in reducing the bad effect of gastrointestinal diseases. Keep in mind that if the problem is severe, then a doctor must be consulted.
8. FOR HEART HEALTH:
This nutritious fruit is rich in high quality fiber, which can help control cholesterol. In addition, unripe bananas contain nutraceutical properties, which may play an important role in fighting against cardiovascular problems. Hence; it would not be wrong to say that raw bananas can be consumed for a healthy heart.
9. BENEFITS OF GREEN BANANA FOR SKIN:
Along with many health benefits, raw banana is also considered very beneficial for the skin. According to scientific researches, banana is rich in many types of vitamins and healthful antioxidants, which can help in getting rid of wrinkles on the face. In addition, it can also provide relief in the problem of acne.
10. HELPS PREVENT CANCER:
Cancer can prove to be fatal if not treated at the right time. In such a situation, it is better to look natural remedies to avoid serious disease such as cancer and raw banana can be trusted for this. It can play a vital role when it comes to prevent cancer. According to a research, resistant starch present in raw banana flour, may help improve immunity. This may help avoid colon cancer.
11. BENEFITS OF GREEN BANANA FOR HAIR:
Banana is also considered useful for hair health. It is a rich source of potassium, carbohydrates and vitamin K. All these nutrients help keep hair healthy and soft. They also help nourish your hair and prevent them from breaking down.
12. IN DIARRHEA:
Eating raw banana can give you relief from the problem of diarrhea to some extent. Before consuming raw banana, you should boil it well. Diarrhea is mainly caused due to bacterial infection, parasitic infection or viral infection.
It can cause symptoms such as nausea, fatigue, headache and abdominal pain. By eating raw banana, you can get relief from such symptoms in this problem.
13. HELPS INCREASE THE CAPACITY OF MUSCLES:
Consuming raw banana can also work increase the capacity of your muscles. In fact, potassium is found in high amounts in raw bananas. Let us tell you that a boiled cup of raw banana contains about 531 mg of potassium.
Your body needs potassium to keep the muscles functioning. Apart from this, potassium improves the function of the veins and helps in cleaning the blood by the kidneys.
HOW TO USE GREEN BANANA:
Raw green bananas can be used to make a variety of dishes. Let’s know:
- You can use raw bananas instead of potatoes while making vegetable and dishes.
- It can be used to make tikki.
- Raw banana koftas can also be prepared.
HOW MUCH TO EAT:
According to scientific researches and health experts, you can consume 225 to 260g of raw banana per day. Here; it is advisable to consult a doctor or dietitian first before consuming it.
SIDE EFFECTS OF GREEN BANANA:
The benefits of eating raw banana are many, but only when it is consumed in adequate amounts. Eating it in excess quantities, it can also cause some side-effects, including:
- If you’re allergic to raw bananas, you should not consume it.
- Raw banana can work reduce the amount of sugar present in the blood. Therefore, the people with low sugar must consult a doctor before consuming it.
- Raw bananas are a rich source of fiber, and if you consume it in large quantities continuously, your digestive system will not be able to digest this fiber. This can cause problems like acidity, bloating or abdominal cramps.
After reading this article, you must have understand how beneficial raw banana is for your health. In addition, side-effects of eating raw banana have also been discussed. To avoid the side-effects, a doctor or dietitian must be consulted.
- Persimmon Fruit: Benefits, Nutritional Facts and Side Effects
- 16 Surprising Health Benefits of Apples
- Banana Fruit: 14 Best Health Benefits of Bananas
- 8 Proven Health Benefits of Green Tea
- Avocado Benefits: 12 Reasons to Eat This Fabulous Fruit
- Women with metabolic syndrome improve antrophometric and biochemical parameters with green banana flour consumption; Sandra Tavares da Silva, Carolina Araújo dos Santos and Yassana Marvila Girondoli; ISSN 0212-1611.
- Dietary Fiber; Medline Plus.
- Combinations of laxatives and green banana biomass on the treatment of functional constipation in children and adolescents: a randomized study; Vanessa Mello Granado, Cassettari and Nilton CarlosMachado; Jornal de Pediatria; Volume 95, Issue 1, January–February 2019, Pages 27-33.
- Dietary fibre and phenolic-rich extracts from Musa paradisiaca inflorescence ameliorates type 2 diabetes and associated cardiovascular risks; K.B.Arun, SitharaThomas and T.R.Reshmitha; Volume 31, April 2017, Pages 198-207.
- Raw Banana; Food Data Central.
- AMAZING BEAUTY AND HEALTH BENEFITS OF BANANAS; Prof. J .Gladys; Pondicherry Journal of Nursing Vol 7, Issue 3, Sep – December 14.
- Evaluation of Banana Hypersensitivity Among a Group of Atopic Egyptian Children: Relation to Parental/Self Reports; Zeinab A. El-Sayed, Dalia H. El-Ghoneimy, Dina El-Shennawy and Manar W. Nasser; PMCID: PMC3636449. PMID: 23638313.
- Health Benefits of Green Banana Consumption: A Systematic Review; Ana Luisa Falcomer, Roberta Figueiredo Resende Riquette and Bernardo Romão de Lima; PMCID: PMC6627159. PMID: 31146437.