There are many types of medicinal herbs found around the globe. The roots, fruits, leaves and flowers of any of these herbs are used to make medicines. In this article, we’re going to discuss about one such herb, Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). Every part of this Ayurvedic plant is used as medicine. Here; we will learn about the health benefits and side-effects of Brahmi in detail.
WHAT IS BACOPA MONNIERI (BRAHMI)?
The scientific name of Brahmi is Bacopa monnieri. It belongs to the family Plantaginaceae and genus Bacopa. It is native to India, Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe and North and South America. The common names of Bacopa monnieri include water hyssop, waterhyssop, thyme-leafed gratiola, Indian pennywort and herb of grace.
BACOPA MONNIERI PLANT DESCRIPTION:
Brahmi is a non-aromatic medicinal herb. Its leaves are 4–6 mm thick, normally succulent and oblong. The flower are small and white in color, normally comes with four to five petals. Propagation is often achieved through cuttings.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BACOPA MONNIERI (BRAHMI):
Brahmi is a medicinal herb that is being used in the field of medicine since ancient times. Some of the proven benefits of Brahmi may include:
1. RICH IN ANTIOXIIDANTS:
Brahmi is considered a rich source of antioxidants. Due to this antioxidant property, it can work reduce oxidative stress in the body. In addition to this, it can also be effective in reducing the harmful effects of oxidants.
2. IMPROVES BLOOD CIRCULATION:
The benefits of Brahmi can also be seen in proper blood circulation. It can help reduce the risk of high blood pressure by releasing nitric oxide from the endothelium membrane inside the heart and blood vessels. In addition, it can help thinning the blood, allowing blood to flow more easily in the veins.
3. RELIEVES ANXIETY:
Brahmi has been used in Ayurveda for years to relieve anxiety. It is considered an adaptogenic herb, which can be effective in relieving stress. On this basis, it would not be wrong to say that Brahmi can also be included in the way to relieve mental stress and anxiety.
4. IN ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE:
Brahmi has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anticonvulsant properties. These properties may work improve brain functioning. In addition, they can also considered effective in removing insomnia, epilepsy and anxiety. At the same time, these properties found in this plant can also be helpful in preventing Alzheimer’s disease.
5. IN CANCER:
The benefits of Bacopa monnieri can also be seen in reducing the risk of cancer. It comes with anti-cancer properties, which can help prevent breast cancer cells from growing.
According to a study, Bacopa monnieri can prove to be helpful in preventing the growth of harmful cells of colon cancer. Keep in mind that cancer is a fetal disease and it is necessary to get it treated by a doctor.
6. HELPS IMPROVE THE IMMUNE SYSTEM:
When it comes to strengthening the immune system, Brahmi can help to great extent. According to a scientific research, its consumption can help increase the production of immunoglobulin antibodies in the body. Brahmi can increase the immune power of the body and can be beneficial in fighting against viral infections and diseases.
7. CONTROL BLOOD SUGAR:
Bacopa monnieri (Brahmi) contains antioxidant and antidiabetic properties, which can control blood sugar. In addition, it also has antihyperglycemic properties, due to which the positive effects of Brahmi have been seen in type-2 diabetes.
8. HELP STRENGTHEN DIGESTIVE SYSTEM:
Brahmi is considered a great source of vitamins and minerals. It also contains some amount of fiber. Fiber can be helpful in strengthening the digestive system by clearing harmful substances from the intestines. In addition, it provides plenty of energy by slowing down the digestive system and may aid in the evacuation of stools.
9. IN EPILEPSY:
Bacopa monnieri has been used in Ayurveda for centuries as a nerve tonic to relieve nervous system disorders. In addition, Ayurvedic medicines for epilepsy have antiepileptic effects and the special thing is that Brahmi is used as an ingredient in it. In such a situation, it can be said that this disease can be overcome by the consumption of Brahmi and its use can be beneficial even during the disease.
10. BRAHMI OIL FOR PAIN:
Brahmi can also be used as a pain reliever. The antinociceptive effect found in it can help reduce pain to some extent. Due to this property, it can also be used as a home remedy for neuropathic pain conditions.
11. IN RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS:
Brahmi extract or juice is rich in antioxidants and adaptogens, with the effect of which Brahmi can relieve diseases like bronchitis and asthma. Bronchitis causes irritation and inflammation of the airways, which can cause shortness of breath. In such a situation, it can be said that the properties of Brahmi can prove useful in respiratory problems.
12. HELPS INCREASE MENTAL CAPACITY:
Brahmi is known to be a natural antioxidant source, which has a neuroprotective role in the brain development. It is used to increase mental capacity. It is said that this herb can help increase understanding, concentration, knowledge and alertness.
13. REDUCE STRESS:
The benefits of Bacopa monnieri can also be seen here. Research shows that it has anti-stress activity, which can be helpful in reducing mental stress. In addition, according to an another research, Brahmi is considered an adaptogenic herb, which can be effective in relieving stress. On this basis, it can be believed that this medicinal herb can be beneficial in reducing stress.
14. PREVENTS INFLAMMATION:
It can also be used to get relief from inflammatory problems. According to a research, Brahmi can inhibit the growth of enzymes that cause inflammation in the brain. In addition, it also has anti-inflammatory effect, which can help in relieving inflammatory problems.
15. CONTAINS DIURETIC PROPERTIES:
Many medicinal properties are found in Brahmi, which can be beneficial for health. Among these, diuretic is also one of its properties. It can be effective in getting rid of water retention, kidney stones and other diseases by removing the excess water present in the body.
16. BRAHMI FOR SKIN:
Chemical compounds such as pentacyclic triterpene found in Brahmi can be commonly used as an anti-wrinkle compound. It can help remove wrinkles and make the skin healthy, because this compound has the ability to act like an antioxidant.
In addition, antioxidants may help fight against free radicals and work keep the skin healthy, as well as reduce wrinkles and inflammation. For this, make a paste by mixing Brahmi powder with water. Then use it on the face as a face pack.
17. BRAHMI FOR HAIR:
The use of Bacopa monnieri can also be beneficial for hair. According to scientific studies, the antioxidant effect found in it can be effective in preventing hair loss. In addition, this herb improves blood circulation, which can help strengthen the hair roots.
For this, make a mixture by grinding Brahmi, Amla (gooseberry) and Bhringraj together. Keep this mixture in an iron skillet overnight. In the morning, mix Brahmi powder and apply this paste on the hair for 10 to 15 minutes. Doing this twice a week stops hair fall.
This wonderful herb can also be used to treat respiratory problems like asthma and bronchitis, as well as epilepsy. It can also be used to treat urinary tract infections (UTIs), high blood pressure, blood diseases, arthritis and hepatitis. It also has antibiotic and antifungal properties, which are considered useful in healing wounds.
USES OF BACOPA MONNIERI (BRAHMI):
Brahmi can be used in many ways. We can use it as tea, paste, decoction as well as medicine. Apart from this, it can be used in many other ways, which we are explaining in detail below.
- Brahmi paste can help reduce inflammation.
- Brahmi leaves can be boiled in water and consumed in the form of a decoction.
- The benefits of Brahmi oil can be seen in joint pain and headache. It can be used to get relief from pain.
- The problem of cough and pneumonia can be avoided by applying Brahmi paste on the neck and chest.
- Drinking tea made from fresh Brahmi leaves mixed with honey has a positive effect on the brain.
- The juice of Brahmi leaves can be given to children under the supervision of a physician to relieve diarrhea.
WHEN AND HOW TO USE:
To grab the benefits of Brahmi, it can be consumed in the form of tea, medicine and decoction at any time. You can use 5 to 7 leaves of Brahmi to make tea.
BACOPA MONNIERI SIDE EFFECTS:
Excessive intake of Bacopa monnieri (Brahmi) can cause some side-effects. Side-effects of Brahmi may include:
- Its excess consumption can cause diarrhea as well as stomach cramps and nausea.
- Consumption of Brahmi can affect fertility, so if you are planning to conceive, avoid its consumption.
Through this article, you must have come to know that Brahmi is one of the beneficial Ayurvedic herbs. It can help to a great extent in keeping the body, mind and brain healthy. Here; we have been told about both the benefits and side-effects of Brahmi, so use it in limited quantity.
- Tinospora cordifolia (giloy): Benefits, nutrition and side effects
- Dandelion: Benefits, nutrition, side effects, how to use
- Marshmallow Root (Althaea Officinalis): Benefits, Dosage and Side Effects
- Passion Flower (Passiflora Incarnata): Uses, Side Effects, Doses, Interactions and More
- Beta Carotene: Benefits, Side-Effects, Deficiency and Foods Rich in Beta-Carotene
- Evaluation of anticancer potential of Bacopa monnieri L. against MCF-7 and MDA-MB 231 cell line; Md. Nasar Mallick, Md. Salman Akhtar and Mohd. Zeeshan Najm; PMCID: PMC4678980. PMID: 26681894.
- Bacopa monnieri and its constituents is hypotensive in anaesthetized rats and vasodilator in various artery types; Natakorn Kamkaew, C Norman Scholfield and Kornkanok Ingkaninan; PMID: 21762768.
- Add-on effect of Brahmi in the management of schizophrenia; Sukanto Sarkar, Biswa Ranjan Mishra and Samir Kumar Praharaj, PMCID: PMC3545244. PMID: 23326095.
- An acute double-blind placebo-controlled cross-over study of 320 mg and 640 mg doses of Bacopa monnieri (CDRI 08) on multitasking stress reactivity and mood; Sarah Benson, Luke A Downey and Con Stough, PMID: 23788517.
- Neurocognitive Effect of Nootropic Drug Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) in Alzheimer’s Disease; Kaustubh S. Chaudhari, Nishant R. Tiwari and Rakesh R. Tiwari; PMCID: PMC5448442. PMID: 28588366.
- The Purified Extract from the Medicinal Plant Bacopa monnieri Bacopaside II Inhibits Growth of Colon Cancer Cells In Vitro by Inducing Cell Cycle Arrest and Apoptosis; Eric Smith, Helen M Palethorpe and Yoko Tomita; PMID: 30037060. PMCID: PMC6070819.
- A comparison of the immunostimulatory effects of the medicinal herbs Echinacea Ashwagandha and Brahmi; Koji Yamada, Pham Hung and Pyo Jam Park; PMID: 21619924.
- Soluble and insoluble fiber; Medline Plus.
- Anti-hyperglycaemic effect of Brahmi ( Bacopa monnieri L . ) in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats : A study involving antioxidant biochemical and haematological parameters; Udhaya Lavinya and E. Sabina.
- Nutritional Analysis of Paratha prepared from Dehydrated Brahmi (Centella asiatica); TOPNO MONICA1, VERMA ANISHA; ISSN: 2348-1358; Vol.5 Issue.11, November- 2018, pg. 6-15.
- A bacosides containing Bacopa monnieri extract alleviates allodynia and hyperalgesia in the chronic constriction injury model of neuropathic pain in rats; Muhammad Shahid, Fazal Subhan and Nisar Ahmad; PMCID: PMC5460461. PMID: 28583132.
- Analytical profile of Brahmi Ghrita: A polyherbal Ayurvedic formulation; Jyoti S. Gubbannavar, Harimohan Chandola and C. R. Harisha; PMCID: PMC3611637. PMID: 23559806.
- A Clinical Trial of Mentat in Patients with Various Types of Epilepsy; D. Moharana; Published 2003, Medicine, Psychology.
- Acute Bronchitis; Medline Plus.
- Bacopa monnieri and Bacoside-A for ameliorating epilepsy associated behavioral deficits; Jobin Mathew, Jes Paul, M.S. Nandhu; Fitoterapia.
- Ethnomedicinal Studies of Some Weeds in Crop Fields of Marathwada Region India; J.A. Dhole, N.A. Dhole and S. S. Bodke; Issued 01 December, 2009.
- ALOPECIA: SWITCH TO HERBAL MEDICINE; Semwal, B.C, Agrawal K. K, Singh K and Sharma S; Journal of Pharmaceutical Research And Opinion.
- The Ayurvedic plant Bacopa Monnieri inhibits inflammatory pathways in the brain; Michelle D. Nemetchek and Andrea A. Stierle; PMCID: PMC5269610. NIHMSID: NIHMS807703. PMID: 27473605.
- Edema (Swelling) and Cancer Treatment; National Cancer Institute.
- Anti-inflammatory effects of an Ayurvedic preparation Brahmi Rasayan in rodents; P Jain, N K Khanna, N Trehan and V K Pendse; PMID: 7814042.
- Does Bacopa monnieri improve memory performance in older persons? Results of a randomized placebo-controlled double-blind trial; Annette Morgan and John Stevens; PMID: 20590480.
- Effects of Centella asiatica (L.) Urb. on cognitive function and mood related outcomes: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis; Panupong Puttarak and Piyameth Dilokthornsakul; PMCID: PMC5587720. PMID: 28878245.
- The Molecular Links of Re-Emerging Therapy: A Review of Evidence of Brahmi (Bacopa monniera); Deepali Mathur, Kritika Goyal and Veena Koul; PMCID: PMC4778428. PMID: 26973531.
- Evaluation of In Vivo Wound Healing Activity of Bacopa monniera on Different Wound Model in Rats; S. Murthy, M. K. Gautam, Shalini Goel, V. Purohit, H. Sharma and R. K. Goel; Hindawi Publishing Corporation; BioMed Research International; Volume 2013, Article ID 972028, 9 pages.