Ayurvedic and herbal medicines are being used in India since ages. Even though many people today depend on English medicines and treatments, yet at some point of time they definitely take recourse to Ayurveda. There are many types of herbs in Ayurveda and one of them is Safed Musli. Common names include musli, white musli and Indian spider plant, Land-Calotrops, Dholi Musli, Asparagus adscendens, Swetha Musli, Khiruva, Taniravi Thang and Shedheveli.
In Ayurveda, the use of Safed Musli is considered very important for health. The properties found in it can be beneficial for health in many ways. In this article, we are going to discuss about the health benefits of this medicinal plant — Safed Musli. Also, its uses, recommended intake (dosage) and side-effects will be highlighted.
WHAT IS SAFED MUSLI?
Traditional medicines are more in trend in India for the treatment of diseases and now the whole world has accepted the power of Indian Ayurvedic medicines. Ayurvedic herbs are used before medicines to treat diseases in India. Safed Musli is a famous medicinal plant and it is considered as “white gold” and “divine medicine” in the Indian medicines.
Apart from this, it is also used in Homeopathic, Allopathic, Ayurvedic and Unani medicines. This is because it has many medicinal properties such as anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and anti-tumor. These properties not only treat physical illness and weakness, apart from this it is also an aphrodisiac.
The scientific name of Safed Musli is Chlorophytum borivilianum. It belongs to the Liliaceae family of plants. Safed Musli is a rare Indian herb found in the tropical wet forests of India.
Generally, it is difficult to find Safed Musli in any part of the world. The Ayurvedic properties present in Safed Musli make it useful in the treatment of many diseases.
Safed Musli is used to increase sexual power in men and to treat impotence. Safed Musli is a type of plant that has white colored flowers. Safed Musli is known in Ayurveda as an excellent anti-stress herb to improve sexual health in men.
According to Ayurveda , Safed Musli acts like a natural Viagra in men and has no harmful effects. Safed Musli is popular not only in India but all over the world due to being a natural alternative to drugs like Viagra.
Safed Musli can help improve body’s immune system. Along with this, this Ayurvedic herb can work in the problems faced by women after delivery and is also beneficial for lactating women.
It also contains nutrients such as more than 25 alkaloids, proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, potassium, calcium, magnesium, steroids, saponins, phenols, resins, mucilages and polysaccharides.
SAFED MUSLI NUTRITIONAL FACTS:
According to International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Research, it contains:
- Carbohydrates (35-45%)
- Proteins (5-10%)
- Fiber (25-35%)
- Saponins (2-20%)
- Alkaloids (15-25%)
In addition, Safed Musli also contains calcium, potassium, magnesium, phenol, mucilage, resins and polysaccharides. It also contains high amounts of sugar, sucrose, glucose, fructose, galactose, mannose and xylose.
SAFED MUSLI HEALTH BENEFITS:
The medicinal properties found in Safed Musli make it extremely beneficial for health. Safed Musli benefits include:
1. INCREASE ENERGY AND IMMUNITY:
Being sick often and not recovering quickly indicates a weak immunity. To overcome this problem, the use of Safed Musli can be beneficial.
To confirm this, doctors did experiments on fishes. According to this research, the use of Safed Musli boosted the immune genes in fishes.
Apart from this, it can also be beneficial in transmitting energy in the body. At the end of this research, it has also been said that due to which compound Safed Musli helps in boosting the immune system, more study is needed on it.
2. ANTI-INFLAMMATORY PROPERTIES:
The properties of Safed Musli also include its anti-inflammatory effects. Sometimes chronic inflammation can cause discomfort.
Safed Musli can be beneficial to reduce this problem to some extent. A research found that the saponins found in Safed Musli have anti-inflammatory properties. This property can be beneficial in relieving chronic inflammation and the pain caused by it, as well as problems such as arthritis.
3. SAFED MUSLI BENEFITS IN PREGNANCY:
There are many types of nutrients needed during pregnancy, which are essential for the mother and the unborn baby. Here, Safed Musli can play a vital role. In such times, the consumption of this herb can act as a tonic for both the fetus and the mother.
Apart from this, consuming Safed Musli can avoid the possibility of fluid loss in the body during delivery. But, it is recommended to consult your doctor before using Safed Musli during pregnancy.
4. SAFED MUSLI BENEFITS IN WEIGHT GAIN:
Below average body weight can cause weakness. At the same time, the use of Safed Musli can help in increasing weight. A research done on rats found that extract of Safed Musli can be beneficial in gaining weight.
When the ethanolic extract of its roots was used on rats, it was found to have positive effects on the reproductive organs. Also, research found that ethanolic extract may also be beneficial in weight gain. At present, further study is yet to be done in this regard.
5. IN DIABETES:
High levels of sugar in the blood can cause the problem of diabetes. Safed musli can be used to avoid any such condition. The benefits of Safed Musli can be seen to control the level of glucose present in the blood.
A research conducted on the rats found that Safed Musli extract has anti-diabetic and anti-hyperglycemic properties. Due to these properties, it can help to avoid the problem of diabetes.
In addition to this, Safed Musli can also help eliminate the possibility of oxidative stress in the body. Keep in mind that a patient suffering from diabetes should consume it only after consulting the doctor.
6. SAFED MUSLI BENEFITS IN INFERTILITY AND IMPOTENCE:
At the same time, if someone is suffering from this problem, then he can benefit to great extent. Many scientists have claimed to overcome the problem of infertility and impotence by testing Safed Musli on rats.
They found in this research that the antioxidant properties found in Safed Musli can be beneficial in increasing fertility. It can also improve the quantity and quality of semen production.
Sperm is very important for pregnancy. It is very important to have a lot of sperm to fertilize the egg. If sperm are present in less quantity then there may be problem in the pregnancy. The problem of oligospermia is cured by Safed Musli.
In addition, eating Safed Musli gives strength to your penis tissues. Due to this, your penis can remain erect for a long time and can also become more rigid. Due to this, more sperm starts to be made and the hormonal balance in the body remains.
7. SAFED MUSLI BENEFITS IN WEIGHT LOSS:
Increasing weight and obesity can cause many diseases. This problem can be overcome with the use of Safed Musli.
Yes, while Safed Musli can be beneficial in reducing many physical problems, on the other hand it can also be used to reduce weight and remove obesity in many cases.
According to a scientific study, it has anti-obesity properties. This property found in it can be beneficial in reducing obesity and increasing weight.
8. REDUCED MENTAL STRESS:
Due to the properties of Safed Musli, it can also be used to reduce stress. Research on rats found that the root of Safed Musli has anti-stress and antioxidant properties.
While the anti-stress properties found in it, Safed Musli can be beneficial in reducing stress conditions, on the other hand its antioxidant properties can be used to treat disorders caused by oxidative stress.
9. SAFED MUSLI BENEFITS IN DIARRHEA:
Sometimes the problem of diarrhea can be due to poor eating habits. Safed Musli can also be beneficial to overcome this problem.
Safed Musli can be used as a medicine to cure diarrhea. However, which of its properties removes diarrhea, it is a matter of research.
10. IN ARTHRITIS AND JOINT PAIN:
Safed musli can be used to avoid arthritis and joint swelling. A research found that a compound called saponin is found in the Safed Musli roots. Saponins have anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritis properties.
As we have mentioned above, the anti-inflammatory properties can be beneficial in relieving the pain caused by the inflammation of arthritis.
At the same time, the anti-arthritis property found in it can be beneficial in this problem. The people with the problem of arthritis can benefit to some extent from Safed Musli.
SAFED MUSLI DOSAGE (RECOMMENDED INTAKE):
According to a scientific research, 15 grams root of Safed Musli can be boiled in a cup of milk and taken twice a day. However, the dosage of Safed Musli depends on the age, body, strength and appetite of the person. If the amount of White Musli affects your appetite, then reduce the doseage of Safed Musli.
- For Children: 25 to 50 mg per kg of weight
- Teenagers (13 to 19 years): 1.5 to 2 grams
- Adults (19 to 60 years): 3 to 6 grams
- Old Age (above 60 years): 2 to 3 grams
- Pregnancy: 1 to 2 grams of Safed Musli should be eaten by women during pregnancy
- Lactating Women: 1 to 2 grams of Safed Musli should be consumed by lactating women
- Maximum Dosage: 12 grams per day (in separate doses)
Take Safed Musli in the morning and evening after two hours of having food with lukewarm milk. You can consume it twice a day. If you feel loss of appetite due to its consumption, then reduce its dose. Take as much of it as you can digest.
WAYS TO USE SAFED MUSLI:
You know how beneficial the properties of Safed Musli can be for the body. After this, now you must be thinking that how to consume it. There are many ways to consume Safed Musli; including:
- Safed Musli can be taken in the form of capsules.
- Grinding the root of Safed Musli can be consumed by mixing it with milk and honey.
- It can be taken in the form of laddu and sweets during pregnancy.
PRECAUTIONS BEFORE TAKING SAFED MUSLI:
Many benefits of Safed Musli were observed and research has also found that the side-effects of this medical herb is negligible. Nevertheless, it is important to keep some things in mind before consuming it, which are as follows:
- Safed Musli should never be taken in the excessive quantity. Please consult your doctor before consuming it.
- Do not consume it directly during pregnancy. It is important to consult with a health expert before consuming Safed Musli.
- People with low sugar problems should avoid its consumption, as it has properties to reduce the sugar present in the blood, which can make the problem serious.
Where to buy Safed Musli?
Safed Musli can be bought from any Ayurvedic medical store. Also it is available online. Safed Musli is available in the form of powder, tonic or capsule at the medical store.
SIDE-EFFECTS OF SAFED MUSLI:
Side-effects of Safed Musli are rare. According to scientific studies, Safed Musli can be used to cure many diseases without any health side-effect, yet there may be some possible side-effects of Safed Musli, including:
- Safed Musli can lower the levels of sugar present in the blood. Therefore, low sugar patients taking sugar medicines should avoid consuming it.
- Excess consumption of anything can be harmful. Similarly, excessive consumption of Safed Musli can cause problems related to the stomach and intestines, including acidity, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, etc.
- Excess consumption of Safed Musli can reduce appetite and may show somewhat harmful results in digestive functions.
Through this article, you have come to know what happens by eating Safed Musli and how the benefits of Safed Musli can be beneficial for health. Safed Musli can not only help in removing weakness of the body, but can also be beneficial in problems like erectile dysfunction (impotence) and infertility. Apart from this, it also highlighted what properties are present in Safed Musli and how it should be used. Although, the side-effects of Safed Musli are rare, but still it is necessary to consult a doctor before using it. We hope that the information given in the article will be beneficial for you.
FREQUNTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs):
Q. How long Safed Musli can be taken?
A. Safed Musli is possibly safe when taken by mouth in limited amounts for up to two months.
Q. Does Safed Musli increase testosterone?
A. Yes! Safed Musli can play a vital role in enhancing testosterone levels.
Q. Can we use Safed Musli in bodybuilding?
A. Yes, Safed Musli can be eaten during bodybuiding or weight-lifting. It is beneficial for muscles, but before consuming it, definitely talk to your doctor or gym trainer.
Q. Safed Musli, which is better, capsule or powder?
A. Safed Musli capsules and powder both are perfect, but you can ask the doctor which would be better for your body.
Q. Can Safed Musli and Ashwagandha be taken together?
A. Yes! It is ok to consume Safed Musli with Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera). You can consult your doctor about this, because as we told you it depends on the individual’s body what is suitable for it.
Q. What is the best way to eat Safed Musli?
A. There are many ways to consume it. If you want, you can eat its capsule or you can consume it by mixing it with milk or honey. It is up to you how you would like to consume it.
Q. Is Safed Musli safe?
Yes! Safed Musli is totally safe when taken in limited quantities.
Q. Is Safed Musli safe for babies?
A. Yes, Safed Musli can be given to children. Many medicinal properties are found in it, which are beneficial for health. Still, a doctor must be consulted before giving Safed Musli to the children.
Q. Can Safed Musli and milk be taken together?
A. Yes, Safed Musli powder can be taken with milk.
Q. Can Safed Musli be taken on an empty stomach?
A. Yes, it can be used with milk on an empty stomach, but first take the advice of a doctor.
Q. Can Safed Musli and Honey be taken together?
A. Yes, Safed Musli and honey can be taken together.
Q. What are the medicinal properties of Safed Musli?
A. The medicinal properties of Safed Musli are many. It can exhibit many effects such as anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor. In the article, we have given information about this in detail above.
Q. Can I take Safed Musli with water?
A. Yes! Safed Musli can be consumed with water.
- Chlorophytum Borivilianum: A White Gold for Biopharmaceuticals and Neutraceuticals; Gulab Singh Thakur, Manoranjan Bag, Bhagwan S Sanodiya, Anish Zacharia, Pratiksha Bhadauriya, Mousumi Debnath, G B K S Prasad and P S Bisen; PMID: 19751181. DOI: 10.2174/138920109789542084.
- Chlorophytum borivilianum Polysaccharide Fraction Provokes the Immune Function and Disease Resistance of Labeo rohita against Aeromonas hydrophila; Shib Sankar Sen, Cheng Chi, Sib Sankar Giri, Hyoun Joong Kim, Saekil Yun, Se Chang Park and V. Sukumaran; PMCID: PMC4662973. PMID: 26649325. doi: 10.1155/2015/256510.
- Safed Musli (Chlorophytum Borivilianum): A Review of Its Botany, Ethnopharmacology and Phytochemistry; Zakia Khanam, Ompal Singh, Rampal Singh and Irshad Ul Haq Bhat; PMID: 24045177. DOI: 10.1016/j.jep.2013.08.064. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24045177/
- Saponins Isolated From Roots of Chlorophytum Borivilianum Reduce Acute and Chronic Inflammation and Histone Deacetylase; Anirudha A Lande, Prafulla P Adkar, Prashant D Ambavade, Shirishkumar D Ambavade, Uma S Swami and Arun B Waghamare; PMID: 25609369. DOI: 10.1016/S2095-4964(15)60157-1.
- Chlorophytum borivilianum (Safed musli): A Vital Herbal Drug; Payal Sharma and Kaushal K Chandrul; ISSN: 2347-7008.
- Chlorophytum borivilianum Root Extract Maintains near Normal Blood Glucose, Insulin and Lipid Profile Levels and Prevents Oxidative Stress in the Pancreas of Streptozotocin-Induced Adult Male Diabetic Rats; Nelli Giribabu, Kilari Eswar Kumar, Somesula Swapna Rekha, Sekaran Muniandy and Naguib Salleh; PMCID: PMC4166863. PMID: 25249786. doi: 10.7150/ijms.9056.
- A Review on Plants Used for Improvement of Sexual Performance and Virility; Nagendra Singh Chauhan, Vikas Sharma, V. K. Dixit and Mayank Thakur; PMCID: PMC4151601. PMID: 25215296. doi: 10.1155/2014/868062.
- Antidiabetic and antioxidant potential of Chlorophytum borivillianum (Safed musli) in type 2 diabetes; P Gayathri and S Saroja, PMCID: PMC4147558. doi: 10.4103/0257-7941.123910.
- Safed musli chlorophytum borivilianum; Neetu Bansal.
- Bioefficacy of Hydromethanolic Extract of Tuber of Chlorophytum Borivilianum (Safed Musli) for the Management of Male Infertility in Cyproterone Acetate-Treated Albino Rats; S Ray, K Chatterjee, D De and D Ghosh; PMID: 23957231. DOI: 10.1111/and.12133.
- Effects of Chlorophytum Borivilianum on Sexual Behavior and Sperm Count in Male Rats; Rakesh Kenjale, Riddhi Shah and Sadhana Sathaye; PMID: 18412148. DOI: 10.1002/ptr.2369.
- Versatility of Safed musali (Indian Viagra) in Human Ailments; Vipin Kumar and Bhaskar Mazumder.
- A Peer Reviewed of General Literature on Chlorophytum borivilianum Commercial Medicinal Plant; R HAQUE, S SAHA and T BERA; International Journal of Drug Development and Research.
- Anti-stress and Anti-Oxidant Effects of Roots of Chlorophytum Borivilianum (Santa Pau & Fernandes); R D Kenjale, R K Shah and S S Sathaye; PMID: 18072542.