Negligence towards health may gives rise to many diseases, while there are some diseases which a person gets through his parents, which are called genetic diseases. One such disease is Wilson’s disease. You may have heard this name for the first time, but it is important to be aware of it, so that its effect can be reduced in time. In this article, we have shared information related to the symptoms, causes, prevention and treatment of Wilson’s disease.
WHAT IS WILSON’S DISEASE?
Wilson’s disease is a rare genetic disorder that causes an excess of copper in the body. This disease can affect the liver and brain as well as other organs of the body. Wilson’s disease is also known as Hepatolenticular Degeneration.
Since it is a genetic disorder, it cannot be completely cured, but through some necessary treatment in time, its effect can be reduced to some extent and other physical problems caused by it can be prevented.
CAUSES OF WILSON’S DISEASE:
Wilson disease is caused by the mutations in ATP7B gene. This gene directs the production of a protein called copper — transporting ATPase 2, which carries copper from the liver to the rest of the body. In addition, this protein called ATPase 2 also works to remove excess copper from the body.
At the same time, when there is a change in the ATP7B gene, it disrupts the functioning of the copper — transporting protein, which causes excess copper to be removed from the body and leads to an excess of copper in the body. As a result, copper deposits take a toxic form and work to harm the body.
SYMPTOMS OF WILSON’S DISEASE:
Symptoms of Wilson’s disease are usually related to the brain and liver. Which are as follows:
Brain or neurological symptoms:
- Difficulty speaking
- Muscle stiffness
- Change in personality
- Hearing and seeing confusion.
Liver related symptoms:
- Swelling of feet
- Pale skin
- Excessive fluid accumulation in the abdomen.
WHEN TO SEE A DOCTOR?
A doctor can be contacted for Wilson’s disease in the following situations:
- When any of the symptoms of Wilson’s disease mentioned above appear.
- If any member of the household has this disease and is thinking of becoming a father, then it is important to contact a genetic counselor.
PREVENTION TIPS FOR WILSON’S DISEASE:
Wilson’s disease can be passed on to the child through the parents. Therefore, it cannot be avoided. If any member of the household has Wilson’s disease, then a doctor must be consulted and the rest of the member should be examined. Timely treatment can prevent or reduce the risk of organ damage.
TREATMENT OF WILSON’S DISEASE:
As we mentioned above that Wilson’s disease is a genetic disorder and there is no exact treatment for it. Nevertheless, through some therapy in time, its effect can be reduced to some extent and complications can be avoided:
- Copper Chelation Therapy — The purpose of this therapy is to reduce the increased amount of copper from the body. For this, the doctor may recommend the use of some medicines, which include trientine, penicillamine and zinc acetate. Keep in mind, do not take these medicines without doctor’s advice.
- Low Copper Diet — The doctor may also recommend a low copper diet.
- Vitamin-E Supplementation — Vitamin-E supplements can also be given to the patients with Wilson’s disease.
- Liver Transplant — If the liver has been badly damaged due to Wilson’s disease, then the decision of liver transplant may be taken.
WHAT TO EAT IN WILSON’S DISEASE:
During Wilson’s disease, it is vital to consume foods with low copper. For this you can consume:
- Dairy products (such as milk and yogurt)
- Whey protein
- In addition, foods rich in zinc may inhibit the absorption of copper in the body.
Avoid the following foods high in copper:
For more information, consult a doctor.
After reading this article, you must understood about the causes, symptoms and treatment needed for Wilson’s disease. Along with this, you must have come to know about the things related to food and drink should be taken during this time. We hope that this article prove beneficial to you. If you liked this article, then do not forget to share it with others.
- Lactose Intolerance: Causes, symptoms, prevention, diet and treatments
- Cerebral palsy: Causes, symptoms, prevention and treatments
- Nephrotic Syndrome: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment and Diet Chart
- How to Get Rid of Back Pain (Backache): Treatments and Effective Home Remedies
- 18 Effective Home Remedies for Jaundice
- Wilson disease; Medline Plus.
- [The new aspects of clinical nutrition at Wilson disease: actuality and perspectives]; A Yu Baranovsky, A S Belodedova and T F Fedorova; PMID: 31722136.
- Wilson disease; Medline Plus.
- [Wilson’s disease]; R Brůha, Z Marecek and P Martásek; PMID: 20662462.
- Wilson Disease; National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
- Wilson Disease; Medline Plus.
- Wilson Disease; Hammad S. Chaudhry; Arayamparambil C. Anilkumar; StatPearls [Internet].