Be it face pack or delicious food, they are incomplete without cucumber. Yes, just as cucumber slices are needed in almost every face pack, in the same way, cucumber salad is also important in increasing the fun of eating.
Along with this, you may also know the incredible health benefits of cucumber. But, have you ever heard the benefits of cucumber seeds?
If not, then in this article, you can read about the uses of cucumber seeds and its various health benefits. Along with this, information about which nutritious elements are present in the seeds of cucumber is also given here.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF EATING CUCUMBER SEEDS:
Cucumber is usually eaten with seeds. However, even after separating its seeds, it can be consumed in the treatment of various health problems. What kind of health benefits it can provide, we are explaining it in detail below.
1. In Weight Loss:
The first benefit of cucumber seeds is related to the home remedies for weight loss. According to a scientific research done on rats, cucumber seed extracts contain hydro-alcoholic and butanoic compounds, which may be beneficial in reducing blood sugar levels and maintaining healthy weight.
This is the reason why the consumption of cucumber seeds can be beneficial in reducing obesity.
2. For Teeth and Gums:
The benefits of cucumber seeds can also be seen here. For this, both drinking cucumber juice and eating cucumber can be beneficial.
This is confirmed by two different research. According to earlier research, the minerals and vitamins present in cucumber can help to keep teeth and gums healthy along with reducing the risk of cavities in the teeth.
At the same time, other research related to cucumber mentions that cucumber juice can be useful for the treatment of problems related to teeth and gums and pyorrhea.
Also, the dietary fiber present in cucumber can help massage the teeth and gums. Generally, we consume cucumber or its juice along with the seeds. On this basis, cucumber seeds can be considered beneficial for teeth.
3. Cucumber Seeds for Brain Health:
Consuming cucumber seeds can also be beneficial in the treatment of some problems related to the brain.
Actually, cucumber seeds contain copper, which can improve neurotransmission, i.e., the process of exchange of information between the brain cells.
This may improve brain function. On this basis, it would not be wrong to say that the consumption of cucumber seeds can prove to be useful in removing some brain related problem.
4. For Cancer:
The flavonoids present in cucumber seeds can act as anti-tumor. At the same time, cucumber seeds have anti-cancer effects, due to which its consumption can help in the prevention of cancer.
In addition, a medical research states that cucumber extracts and seeds contain a chemical called cucurbitacins with anti-cancer properties, which can inhibit the growth of cancer cells. On this basis, consumption of cucumber seeds can be useful to prevent cancer.
Keep in mind, cucumber seeds can be helpful in preventing cancer, but it is not a cure. If someone is suffering from this fetal disease, then one should not depend on the home remedies, but first priority should be given to medical treatment.
5. For Urine Tract Infection (UTI):
Urine infection is believed to be the main cause of urinary infection, which enters the bladder through the urethra. The seeds of cucumbers have some antimicrobial effect, which helps in the treatment of urinary tract infections (UTIs) by preventing urinary infection causing bacteria (Serratia Marcescens).
In addition, according to an another research, cucumber has been found to be effective in the treatment of urinary tract infections. In such a situation, on the basis of these studies, it can be assumed that the consumption of cucumber or cucumber seeds can be useful as a home remedy for urinary tract infection.
6. Cucumber Seeds for Heart Health:
Cucumber seeds can also play a vital role in keeping the heart healthy. A research reveals that cucumber seed oil contains polyunsaturated fatty acids, which can reduce the risk of heart diseases to a great extent. Apart from this, cucumber seed oil can also be helpful in controlling cholesterol.
Cholesterol has been considered one of the main risks of heart disease. Given this fact, it would not be wrong to say that the benefits of cucumber seeds also include keeping the heart healthy.
7. In Strengthen Digestion:
The benefits of cucumber seeds also include improving the digestion process. It is mentioned in a research paper that consumption of cucumber seeds can prove to be helpful in relieving many digestive problems including acidity (acid reflux) and ulcers.
At the same time, it can also be helpful in relieving the problem of indigestion. Thus, cucumber seeds can be considered effective for strengthening digestion.
8. Cucumber Seeds for Skin Health:
The use of cucumber seeds can also be beneficial for the skin. In summer, people troubled by the problem of dry skin, sunburn and tanning etc. can take the help of cucumber seeds to overcome their problem.
There are antioxidant elements present inside cucumber seeds which not only removes the problem of tanning, dry skin etc. but it also gets rid of wrinkles. If you eat cucumber seeds regularly, then the diseases related to the skin also go away.
According to a scientific study, cucumber seed extracts have skin-conditioning effects, which can enhance the radiance of soft skin while providing moisture to the skin.
This is why cucumber seeds are also used in many cosmetic products. Therefore, the use of cucumber seeds for the skin can be considered useful.
9. Cucumber Seeds for Hair Health:
Not only for health and skin, consumption of cucumber seeds is also considered useful for hair. In relation to the benefits of cucumber, a research found that cucumber juice can be drunk as a hair tonic.
Apart from this, according to an another study, regular consumption of cucumber can help in the hair growth. If seen on this basis, eating cucumber with seeds and drinking its juice can also be considered beneficial for hair.
CUCUCMBER SEEDS NUTRITIONAL FACTS:
There is a lack of research on the amount of nutrients present in the cucumber seeds according to the amount per gram. Therefore, here we are giving you information about the nutrients present in cucumber seeds.
In the form of mixed fatty acids in the cucumber seeds, elements such as saturated acid, unsaturated acid, conjugate trine, linolenic and oleic acid are also present in it.
HOW TO USE CUCUMBER SEEDS:
In this section, we’re going to tell the uses of cucumber seeds. Read below to know how and when you can consume cucumber seeds.
How and When to Eat:
- Cucumber seeds can be eaten mixed with curd or fruit pulp.
- Cucumbers with seeds can be used as a salad for lunch.
- Cucumber seeds can be dried in the sun, roasted and eaten.
- Cucumber seeds can be consumed in the form of juice in the morning breakfasts.
- Cucumbers with seeds can also be used for making pickles.
- You can also consume juice made from cucumber seeds or cucumber salad in the dinner.
HOW MUCH TO USE (RECOMMENDED INTAKE):
Cucumber seeds or juice made from cucumber seeds can be consumed in the amount of 10 to 30 grams daily.
SIDE EFFECTS OF CUCUMBER SEEDS:
Cucumber seeds can be used at home to treat many health problems. But, if it is consumed in excessive amounts, then there can also be some health side-effects of cucumber seeds; including:
- In some cases, consumption of cucumber can cause oral allergy syndrome. In such a situation, eating cucumber or cucumber seeds can cause side-effects.
- Consuming more than 5000 milligrams of cucumber can cause some degree of toxicity. Because of which cucumber or cucumber seeds should not be used in larger quantities.
- Cucumber seeds may have diuretic effect. Consuming it in excess can cause dehydration.
- Cucumber seeds have a hypoglycemic effect (reducing the amount of sugar in the blood). In such a situation, if someone has a problem of low blood sugar, then they can be harmed by cucumber seeds.
Hope the use of cucumber seeds mentioned in the article above proves beneficial for you. If cucumber seeds are eaten in adequate amounts, it can reduce many physical health problems to some extent. Also keep in mind that in the article we have also told the side-effects of cucumber seeds. If you have any kind of allergy to cucumber, cucumber juice or seeds, avoid consuming it. If you still want to consume it, then definitely take medical advice about it.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs):
Q. How many cucumber seeds should I eat?
A. You can consume seeds in an adequate amount of about 10 to 30 grams daily.
Q. Can eating cucumber seeds kill you?
A. No, the article mentions many health benefits of eating cucumber seeds, but, eating cucumber or cucumber seeds in excess can cause side effects.
Q. Can cucumber seeds be difficult to digest?
A. No. Cucumber seeds or any edible cucumber seed can help in the treatment of indigestion and acidity problem. On this basis, it can be assumed that there is no problem in digesting cucumber seeds.
Q. Where to buy hybrid cucumber seeds?
A. You can buy hybrid cucumber seeds from any seed store. Also, it can be easily found on online stores.
Q. Where to buy namdhari cucumber seeds?
A. The seed of namdhari cucumber is also a type of hybrid cucumber. You can buy it from any seed store or online store.
- Phytochemical Characterization of Cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) Seeds as Candidate of Water Additive for Organic Broiler Chickens; Jet S. Mandey, Fenny R. Wolayan, Cherly J. Pontoh, and Bonie F. J. Sondakh; Journal of Advanced Agricultural Technologies Vol. 6, No. 1, March 2019.
- Cucurbitacins – An insight into medicinal leads from nature; Ujjwal Kaushik, Vidhu Aeri, and Showkat R. Mir; PMCID: PMC4441156PMID: 26009687; doi: 10.4103/0973-7847.156314.
- Effect of orally administrated of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) seed juice on the performance and carcass parameters of broiler chickens; J S Mandey et al 2020 IOP Conf. Ser.: Earth Environ. Sci. 492 012025.
- The role of nutrition in caries prevention and maintenance of oral health during pregnancy; Marija Jevtic, Jelena Pantelinac, Tatjana Jovanovic-Ilic and Vasa Petrovic; DOI:10.2298/MPNS1512387J.
- Evaluation of some engineering properties of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) seeds and kernels based on image processing; AmirHossein Mirzabe, MasoudBarati kakolaki, BehnamAbouali and RasoulSadin; Volume 4, Issue 4, December 2017, Pages 300-315.
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa urinary tract infections in hospitalized patients: Mortality and prognostic factors; Jose Luis Lamas Ferreiro, Lucía González González, Judith Álvarez Otero, Luis Novoa Lamazares and Alexandra Arca Blanco; PMCID: PMC5446154PMID: 28552972. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0178178.
- Invigorating Efficacy of Cucumis Sativas for Healthcare & Radiance; Raaz K Maheshwari, Lalit Mohan, Jayant Malhotra and Bina Rani; ISSN: 2321-3132; IJCPS, 2014, Vol.2(3): 737-744.
- A REVIEW ON CUCUMBER (Cucumis Sativus); HinaSaeed, AnamWaheed; ISSN No.: 2454- 2024 (online).
- Natural therapeutics for urinary tract infections—a review; Sarita Das; Future Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences volume 6, Article number: 64 (2020)
- Cultivar and Seasonal Effects on Seed Oil Content and Fatty acid Composition of Cucumber As a Potential Industrial Crop; Joyce W. Ngure, Chunyan Cheng, Qunfeng Lou, Ji Li, Chuntao Qian, Shuqiong Yang, Jie Chen and Jinfeng Chen; Volume 140: Issue 4
- Cholesterol; Medline Plus.
- Safety Assessment of Cucumis sativus (Cucumber)-Derived Ingredients as Used in Cosmetics; Monice M. Fiume, Wilma F. Bergfeld, Donald V. Belsito, Daniel C. Liebler, Ronald A. Hill, Curtis D. Klaassen, James G. Marks Jr and Ronald C. Shank; International Journal of Toxicology; 2014, Vol. 33(Supplement 2) 47S-64S.
- Oral Allergy Syndrome; Nuray Bayar Muluk; First Published January 1, 2018.
- CUCUMIS SATIVUS (CUCUMBER): A REVIEW ON ITS PHARMACOLOGICAL ACTIVITY; Tripti Sahu and Jyoti Sahu; ISSN No. 2348 – 0335.
- Comparative Assessment of the Proximate, Mineral Composition and Mineral Safety Index of Peel, Pulp and Seeds of Cucumber (Cucumis sativus); Oluwagbenle Henry Niyi, Adesina Adeolu Jonathan and Aremu Olawale Ibukun; ISSN Online: 2165-3925, ISSN Print: 2165-3917.
- Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) -Derived Ingredients as Used in Cosmetics; Tentative Safety Assessment; March 16, 2012.
- A review on Cucumis sativus (Cucumber); Pritesh Shah, Swati Dhande, Yadunath Joshi and Vilasrao Kadam; Volume 5, Issue-2, Year-2013.