GENERIC NAME(s)— Docusate Sodium
BRAND NAME(s)— Colace
What is Colace?
Colace (Docusate) is a stool softener which makes bowel movements softer and easier to pass. It is used to treat occasional constipation. Colace helps to reduce pain caused by hard stools. It is taken by mouth.
For adults and children older than 12 years, the recommended dose of Colace ranges from 100 to 200 mg a day.
For children of 6 to 12 years old, the recommended dose of Colace is 40 to 120 mg a day.
For children of 3 to 6 years old, the recommended dose is 20 to 60 mg a day.
For children under the age of 3 years, your doctor or health care provider will recommend the appropriate dose.
Side Effects of Colace
- Stomach pain
Call your doctor right away if you have —
- Allergic reaction such as rashes, itching, swelling (especially of the face, tongue and throat)
- Rectal bleeding
- Severe dizziness
- Trouble breathing
Do not stop, start or change the dose of any medication without your doctor’s approval.
- Mineral oil
- Prescription and over—the—counter medicines
- Herbal products
Tell your doctor or health care provider about all the medicines you are currently taking or any you start or stop using.
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it or if you have a history of any other allergy.
- Severe abdominal pain
- Sudden change in bowel movements over the previous 2 weeks
It is not recommended to take this medicine during pregnancy. Ask you doctor if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
It is not clear if this drug passes into the breast milk. Consult your doctor if you’re breast—feeding. [Trusted Source 2]
What Happens If Missed A Dose?
As this medicine is only used when needed, so you don’t need to schedule a dose.
Skip missed dose if it is almost the time for next dose. Do not take extra drug to make up the missed dose.
What Happens If I Take An Overdose?
Seek emergency medical help or call the Poison Help line at 1—800—222—1222.
- Dichlorphenamide : Side Effects, Uses, Interaction and Precautions
- Zetia (Ezetimibe) : Side Effects, Uses, Dosage, Interaction and Precautions
- Riociguat (Adempas) : Side Effects, Uses, Interaction and Precautions
- Dexamethasone : Side Effects, Uses, Interaction and Precautions
- Praluent (Alirocumab) : Side Effects, Uses, Dosage, Interaction and Precautions