Who does not want to have an attractive and spotless face and for this many people also make lot of efforts. Some get surgery, while some resort to expensive medical treatments. But, do you know that in Ayurveda there are many ways to improve the skin and make the face beautiful. One of them is the use of betel leaves for the skin. In this article, we are going to reveal surprising benefits of betel leaves for the skin. For the complete information, read this article till the end.
WHY ARE BETEL LEAVES BENEFICIAL FOR YOUR SKIN?
The use of betel leaves has also been found beneficial in many problems related to your skin. According to a scientific research, people in rural areas have applied fresh betel leaves juice to heal skin wounds, cuts and rashes. Along with the problem of itching, it also has been found to be effective in the problem of pimple, burning, pain and bleeding.
Research has further stated that a cream made from betel leaf extract can also be beneficial in the skin related problems. On this basis, it can be said that the use of betel leaves can be beneficial for the skin to a great extent.
BENEFITS OF BETEL LEAVES FOR SKIN:
Betel leaves contain many medicinal and natural properties which make it really very beneficial for the skin. In this section, we will know how betel leaves can be beneficial for the skin. So, let’s dive in!
Anti Aging Effect:
As we age, its bad effect start showing on the skin. Due to the aging process, the elasticity (firmness) of the skin starts to suffer, which causes saggy or loose skin. Betel leaf can be beneficial in this problem. According to an Indonesian study, betel leaf extracts has anti-aging effects. This effect can reduce the bad effect on the skin due to the problem of aging.
Acne is generally caused by bacteria. They are caused by the growth of the bacterium Propionibacterium acnes. Pimples are small bumps on the surface of the skin, which may have pus, itching, swelling and slight pain. Betel leaves can help in this regard. According to a research, betel leaf extracts have some anti-bacterial effect which can help reduce bacteria that cause and increase acne.
The use of betel leaves can also be beneficial to reduce the dark spots on the skin. A scientific study in this regard stated that betel leaves have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial effect which can help in lightening the dark spots caused by wounds.
In addition to this, betel leaf extracts may also have a skin lightening effect, due to which it is used as an active ingredient in cosmetic products such as skin lightening creams. On this basis, it can also be said that betel leaf can reduce the dark spots of the skin.
The use of betel leaves can also be beneficial in many skin related diseases. As we have discussed previously, due to the medicinal properties, betel leaves are used in the problem of burning, itching, pimples and pain. Also, these leaves can be considered really effective for healing wounds, cuts and rashes.
If someone is experiencing the problem of skin rashes, then betel leaves can be used to reduce this problem to some extent. Betel leaves have anti-microbial and antiseptic properties. These properties can prove to be beneficial in the problem of rashes. For this, boil 10 leaves of betel and mix it in bath water daily.
Betel leaves have some medicinal properties, which can be beneficial for the skin in many ways. One of them is the anti-inflammatory properties, which is due to the polyphenols and flavonoids present in it. These properties have been considered beneficial in the problem of inflammation due to the acne as well as general inflammation.
Skin Whitening Effect:
The use of betel leaves can be beneficial for glowing and spotless skin. A research has found that betel leaves have skin lightening effects, which can help in improving skin complexion as well as making it bright and spotless.
USES OF BETEL LEAVES FOR SKIN:
How To Use Betel Leaves For Face And Skin?
Betel leaves can be used in many ways for the skin; including:
- Applying a decoction of betel leaves can provide excellent relief in many skin problems. Boil 10 leaves of betel, when the water becomes lukewarm, add it to your bath water or apply it directly on the itchy and swollen area of the skin.
- Boil five to six betel leaves in a cup of water and filter it when the color turns green. When it cools down, wash your face with it. Also, fill it in a spray bottle and use it as a toner after cleansing the face.
- Betel leaves can also be used for acne. Take some betel leaves and grind them well to make a smooth paste. Then add a pinch of turmeric powder to it. Now apply it on your face. Once it dries, wash your face.
- Make a smooth paste by grinding a handful of betel leaves. Now apply it on your skin. Leave it for a few minutes and then wash it off with water. This remedy can be a surefire way to make the skin glow.
- All that has to be done for the face pack is to prepare a paste from some fresh betel leaves and one spoon of gram flour, two spoons of Fuller’s Earth (multani mitti). Now apply this face pack and leave it for about 15 minutes.
PRECAUTIONS TO FOLLOW BEFORE USING BETEL LEAVES ON THE SKIN:
The use of betel leaves is beneficial for the skin in many ways, but before applying it, keep some things in your mind; including:
- People with sensitive skin should do a patch test before using it.
- Do not use it in case of allergy.
- Use fresh betel leaves for the skin.
- If you have applied a face pack of betel leaves, then definitely apply a suitable cream that provides moisture to the skin.
- If any kind of negative effect is seen on applying betel leaf, then see your doctor immediately.
SIDE EFFECTS OF USING BETEL LEAVES ON THE FACE:
Betel leaves can be beneficial for the skin. At the same time, it can also has some side-effects; including:
- It may be itchy for those with sensitive skin.
- Some people may also have the problem of allergy to betel leaves or its extracts.
- When betel leaves are used, it can reduce dark spots as well as cause spots to increase.
In today’s era, everyone wants to have clear, healthy and glowing skin. Betel leaf can be used to achieve this goal. In this article, we have explained how to use betel leaves for glowing skin. Betel leaves or betel leave extracts can be included in the skin care routine to get the benefits of betel leaves for the skin.
Keep in mind the precautions to be taken before using betel leaves for the skin.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs):
Q. Can we eat betel leaf daily?
A. Consuming one betel leaf a day can help you to flush out toxins from the body and further restores the normal pH levels of the stomach and in this way helps increase appetite.
Q. Can betel leaves be applied directly on the skin?
A. YES! Betel leaves can be applied directly on the skin as long as it doesn’t cause allergies.
Q. Do betel leaves darken the skin?
A. The answer is mixed. Although its extract has a skin lightening effect, which can make the skin glow. But in a research paper it has also been said that along with reducing the dark complexion of the skin, betel leaves also have a deepening effect.
Q. Is it good to eat betel leaves?
A. YES! Betel leaves contain many curative and healing health benefits. The leaves are full of vitamins such as thiamine, niacin, vitamin C, riboflavin and carotene.
Q. Do betel leaves remove dark circles?
A. YES! Betel leaf extracts have skin lightening effect which can be effective on dark circles.
Q. Do betel leaves make the skin glow?
A. YES! The skin lightening effect found in betel leaf extract can help in brightening the skin.
Q. Can I apply betel leaves on my face overnight?
A. YES! Betel leaves can be applied on the face at night, but it would not be wise to leave it on the face overnight.
Q. Can betel leaves cure acne?
A. YES! The anti-bacterial effect present in betel leaves can remove acne bacteria.
- Efficacy of Betel Cream on Skin Ailments; Lakshmi Arambewela, Menuka Arawwawala and Shanthi Kulatunga; January 2010; Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine 7(1).
- Why eating betel leaf daily is a healthy practice; Times of India.
- Formulation and Physicochemical Evaluation of Anti-Aging Creams; Ira Maya Maya and Mutakin Mutakin; May 2017.
- Antibacterial activity of Piper betle L. extract in cream dosage forms against Staphylococcus aureus and Propionibacterium acne; Arif Budiman, Datu Wage Rusnawan and Anna Yuliana; Vol. 10(3), 2018, 493-496.
- BETEL LEAF AND TREATMENT OF GENITAL WARTS; Nguyen Tan Danh; ISSN- 2394-5125; Vol 7, Issue 14, 2020; Journal of Critical Reviews.
- Lightening Effect of Skin Lightening Cream Containing Piper betle L. Extract in Human Volunteers; Hazrina Hadi and Sharifah Shakirah Syed Omar.
- Anti and Promelanogenic Activity of Oxidized and Non-oxidized Piper betle Leaf Extract on B16-F1 Melanoma Cells; H. E. Chiu, V. J. Wu and Y. C. Shen; Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Science.
- 5 health benefits of chewing paan or betel leaves nobody told you about; Nikita Bhalla; India Today.