- GENERIC NAME: Empagliflozin Tablets
- BRAND NAME: Jardiance
- DRUG CLASS: Sodium-Glucose Co-Transporter 2 (SGLT2) Inhibitors
WHAT IS EMPAGLIFLOZIN?
Empagliflozin is an oral medication used to treat diabetes by controlling blood sugar levels. It belongs to a class of drugs called Sodium-Glucose Co-Transporter 2 (SGLT2) Inhibitors. This medicine helps kidneys to get rid of glucose from your bloodstream.
Empagliflozin (Jardiance) is used together with proper diet and exercise to control blood sugar levels in the people with type-2 diabetes mellitus. Jardiance can not be used to treat type-1 diabetes.
EMPAGLIFLOZIN DOSAGE INFORMATION:
Take Empagliflozin (Jardiance) exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all instructions described on your prescription label. Do not take this medication in smaller or larger amounts or for longer than recommended.
Jardiance recommended dose is 10 mg once daily in the morning. You can take it with or without food.
EMPAGLIFLOZIN SIDE EFFECTS:
Common side effects of Empagliflozin (Jardiance) include:
- Joint pain
- Increased urination
- Yeast infection
- Low blood sugar
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Urinary tract infection
- Low blood pressure
- High cholesterol
Tell your doctor or health care provider right away if you have any serious side effects, including:
- Signs of a urinary tract infection (UTI) such as frequent, painful, urgent urination, burning, pink or bloody urine
- Signs of kidney problems such as change in the amount of urine
Get emergency medical help if you have any very serious side effects, including:
- Stomach/abdominal pain
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual tiredness
Empagliflozin can cause a new yeast infection in the vagina or the penis. This medicine may also cause a rare but very serious bacterial infection in the genital or anal area. Tell your doctor or healthcare provider immediately if you have the signs of a yeast infection in the vagina or in the penis. The symptoms of a yeast infection in women may include:
- Unusual vaginal discharge
The symptoms of a yeast infection in men may include:
- Swelling of the penis
- Unusual discharge from the penis
Empagliflozin (Jardiance) doesn’t usually cause low blood sugar. Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) may occur if this medication is prescribed with other diabetes medications. Symptoms of low blood sugar may include:
- Blurred vision
- Fast heartbeat
- Sudden sweating
- Tingling in hands or feet
Tell your doctor right away if you have any of above mentioned symptoms.
This medication can make you dehydrated, which may lead to serious kidney damage. Here; it is recommended to consume plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration. Tell your doctor or healthcare provider immediately if you aren’t able to drink fluids as usual or if you are losing fluid such as fluid loss due to vomiting, heavy sweating or diarrhea.
Before taking this drug, tell your doctor or healthcare provider if you are allergic to it or if you have a history of any other allergies.
Before using Empagliflozin medication, tell your doctor about your medical history, especially of:
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Abuse of alcohol
- Heart failure
- Low blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- History of yeast infections in the vagina or penis
It is not recommended to take Empagliflozin (Jardiance) during pregnancy. Tell your doctor or healthcare provider if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
It is not known if this drug passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Tell your doctor or health care provider, if you are taking any other medications. Some medicines may interfere with Empagliflozin. They may include:
- Other diabetes medicines
- A diuretic or “water pill”
- Jardiamet: Side Effects, Uses, Interaction and Precautions
- Amoxicillin: Side Effects, Uses, Interaction and Precautions
- Bupropion: Side Effects, Uses, Interaction and Precautions
- What is Gabapentin? Its Side Effects, Uses, Interaction and Precautions
- Topamax (Topiramate): Side Effects, Uses, Dosage, Interaction and Precautions