GENERIC NAME: Terfenadine
BRAND NAME(S): Seldane, Triludan, Teldane
DRUG CLASS: Antihistamines
WHAT IS TERFENADINE?
Terfenadine is a medication used to treat allergic conditions. It belongs to a class of drugs, called antihistamines. Antihistamine helps prevent runny nose, sneezing, itching and watering of the eyes.
TERFENADINE SIDE EFFECTS:
The most common Terfenadine side-effects may include:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Dry mouth
- Dry skin
- Abdominal discomfort.
Do not take Terfenadine medication, if you feel any of the following serious side-effects. Call your doctor immediately or seek emergency medical help.
- Irregular heartbeat
- Allergic reaction such as difficulty breathing, hives, swelling of your lips, tongue, or face, closing of your throat.
Terfenadine overdose symptoms include:
- Irregular heartbeat.
Taking terfenadine with some other medicines may change its effectiveness or may lead to the risk of serious side effects such a irregular heartbeats. Do not start or stop taking any medicine immediately or don not change the dosage of any medicine without the approval of your doctor or health care provider. Take all medicines under the supervision or guidance of your doctor.
Do not take this medicine with any of the following drugs:
- Antibiotic medicines including Clarithromycin (Biaxin), Erythromycin and Azithromycin (Zithromax)
- Medicines for ulcer such as Cimetidine (Tagamet, Tagamet HB)
- Antifungal drugs including Itraconazole (Sporanox) and Ketoconazole (Nizoral).
Before taking Terfenadine medication, tell your doctor or health care provider if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- Beta-blockers such as Propranolol (Inderal) or Metoprolol (Lopressor)
- A tricyclic antidepressant such as Doxepin (Sinequan), Amitriptyline (Elavil) or Nortriptyline (Pamelor)
- Decongestants, or diet pills
- Depression medications or monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) such as Phenelzine (Nardil), Isocarboxazid (Marplan) or Tranylcypromine (Parnate).
Before taking Terfenadine, tell your doctor or healthcare provider if you are allergic to it or if you have a history of any other allergies.
Before taking this medicine, tell your doctor about the medical history, especially of:
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Asthma or another lung problems
- Low potassium levels in the blood
- Urinary retention or an enlarged prostate
- Heart disease, especially an irregular heartbeat.